Mallory HEI Hook Up - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 9th, 05, 7:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Mallory HEI Hook Up

Converting small block to big block in 72 Malibu. 509 Merlin with Mallory 8548201C HEI distributor. There is one set of wires with terminal plug ging from the distributor base to the coil cap housing. There is also a place for another terminal plug..labeled-coil, ground, battery. Where do I get this terminal plug and how does it need to be connected to from my original stock wiring ?

Thanks in advance.....1972 Chevell newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 05, 8:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Mallory HEI Hook Up

theres a harness and plug that comes from the dist base, that plugs into the dist cap recess closest to the cap-theres 2 more places in the cap that is in front of the before mentioned plug-the one on the left is for the tach, the one on the right is +12 volts-find the orig wire that feed your coil, its kind of a white cloth covered wire(the yellow one comes from the starter-you wont need it)-its a resistor wire, designed to drop voltage from +12 to around 8-9v-follow it down to the firewall plug-you want to replace this with a reg wire-they sell a replacement wire with correct ends from year one, L00510, and it plugs right into your harness and dist-i just got one and it works out good-i have made my own before, but always nicer if its done

when your credit cards are maxed, have the limits raised
Old May 10th, 05, 6:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Will be calling Year One today...this website and it's members are a big help !!
Thanks

Old May 10th, 05, 7:01 AM
Tech Team

I think if you replace the resistor wire by a " standard " wire, you have to use a ballast resistor with mallory hei.
Old May 10th, 05, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmalibu
I think if you replace the resistor wire by a " standard " wire, you have to use a ballast resistor with mallory hei.
I think that's if you use the Mallory Unilite, a points conversion module. The number he listed is a full HEI coil in cap distributor.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 10th, 05, 1:50 PM
Tech Team

right, it's for unilite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5186 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.