72 tach & gauge harness to 70 fwd lighting harness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 05, 4:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

72 tach & gauge harness to 70 fwd lighting harness

I'm negoiating on a 72 monte complete dash with tach & gauges,AC and complete wiring harness.Its out of the car. Have not traded for it yet.

Intention is to go into a 71 chevelle ss basket case which has no wiring in it at all.

I do have a engine & foward lighting harness from a 70 monte carlo AC car.Got it cheap and its complete.

Option 1: Sell or trade the 72 tach & gauge underdash harness and get a 70-71 underdash tach & gauge harness.

Option 2: Find a 72 monte engine & foward lighting harness.

I know they changed the bulkhead firewall connector in 72 and thats why 70-71 won't connect together with a 72.

Looking for opinions on what to do ? This is a long term project so I'm in no hurry just starting to get all required parts together.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to sell the 72 tach & gauge underdash harness. I already know where I can get a 70-71 for a reasonable price.This might be the simplest thing to do ?

or ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 05, 8:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: 72 tach & gauge harness to 70 fwd lighting harness

I recommend trading the dash harness for a 70 or 71 dash harness. For the forward lamp harness it's easier to get a 71 Chevelle harness. Not that it's a major problem but the Mnte forward lamp harness is longer than the Chevelle, it can be used but you will need to modify park/signal/marker light connections and deal with the extra length. 70 or 71 engine harness from Monte or Chevelle will work.

If you want you can use the 72 harnesses, you will need to put a 72 horn relay on the firewall and modify the park/signal/marker light connections and deal with the longer wiring. The gauge dash harness will work with either A/C or heat only.

TC member 368
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 5th, 05, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks for the advice

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 8:04 PM

If you do a search on the site, it will bring up elrees directions on how to do it. Step by step with wire colors.

71 chevelle ss clone project<br /><br /><br />man on a mission. mission yet to be disclosed

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/788933
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 9th, 05, 12:45 PM
Tech Team

I did the 72 SS tach dash and 72 dash harness with my original 70 fwd lamp harness with Elree's help of course and it came out great

I removed theTCS circuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5161 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.