Installing extra "ign" terminals? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 8:25 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Installing extra "ign" terminals?

The "ign" terminal in my '69 Malibu is getting a bit crowded, so I thought it might be a good idea to install an extra fuse box with separately fused terminals. Got the ignition hooked up to it, and I don't want the engine to die if something else blows the fuse

Haven't really thought much about what to use, where to put it etc, but the first thing on the agenda is to figure out where to pick up switched 12V. What would be the best place?

1969 Malibu in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 8:44 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Installing extra "ign" terminals?

I think you'll still need to get this off of the existing IGN circuit since it comes from the key switch. What you could do is use that to power a relay that then supplies power to an additional fuse box wired off the battery. Similar to how some have run their headlights directly off the battery, with the light switch only carrying a small amount of current to close the relay.

jim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 8:57 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
I think you'll still need to get this off of the existing IGN circuit since it comes from the key switch. What you could do is use that to power a relay that then supplies power to an additional fuse box wired off the battery. Similar to how some have run their headlights directly off the battery, with the light switch only carrying a small amount of current to close the relay.

jim
That's a pretty neat idea. I don't want to cut or splice any wires (the original wiring is in perfect condition), so a relay would be a good way to tap some extra juice "straight from the source".

Any other ideas?

1969 Malibu in progress

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

I did something similar when I rewired my Falcon based Ranchero.
To take the load from the ignition switch, the Ignition buss and the Accessory buss are triggered by relays.
Nothing but the coil and a couple of relays are tied to the ignition switch.

Use your existing IGN port to power the coil on a relay to a remote buss or fuseblock

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On the street now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 10:50 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Good advice, using relays.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

I might be overly cautions, but would it be a good idea to put an inline fuse on the main feed from the battery? Or would it be ok to just run a hot wire straight through the relay?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 9:26 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Always fuse any circuit close to its source.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have a parts store Buss AGC terminal block (six fuse) mounted next to the stock fuse box on my '67. It has circuits for stereo, torque converter clutch, alarm system, indirect lighting and a couple I can't recall. It is tapped directly off the ignition spade lug on the factory fuse lock. If I were to do it again, I'd probably have the auxiliary fuse block on a relay from battery power with the relay coil fired off the ignition terminal. That said, my headlights are not powered off the main fuse block so I'm net positive (lower) on amps on the main fuse block.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Always fuse any circuit close to its source.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to do!

Now I need the components... bear with me, I'm a dummy when it comes to wiring and electrical stuff in general... First off, I need a fuse box. I haven't looked much further than eBay yet, but all I could find was "straight through" boxes, where each fuse has an "in" and an "out" terminal. Or in other words: A box full of inline fuses, like this one: Universal 12V 8WAY Car Truck Automotive Blade Fuse Box Holder Circuit with Cover | eBay . I would rather have one where you only connect one 12V feed wire, or do you just need to piggy back the terminals on the feed side?

Suggestions on feed wire and fuses would also be great, especially on the feed wire. How many amps and what size feed wire would you think I need?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 16, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

You can create a bus by hooking all the terminals together on one side of the fuse block. I would use a minimum of a 10ga wire soldered to each terminal. Then use a 30a relay to power it up in the key on position and a direct feed from the battery to the fuse block. Putting a fuse on the feed wire is optional if the fuse block remains under the hood.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 16, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
You can create a bus by hooking all the terminals together on one side of the fuse block. I would use a minimum of a 10ga wire soldered to each terminal. Then use a 30a relay to power it up in the key on position and a direct feed from the battery to the fuse block. Putting a fuse on the feed wire is optional if the fuse block remains under the hood.
I might put one under the hood and one inside the car, haven't decided yet but I want a fuse on it regardless.

So a 10 gauge wire would be enough to feed this?

Edit: This one looks pretty neat, one wire coming in and 6 terminals, plus LED indicators: 1 Power in 6 Way Auto Circuit Fusebox Blade Terminal Holder LED Warning 12V DC | eBay

1969 Malibu in progress

Last edited by Olle; May 8th, 16 at 7:00 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 16, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

What all are you going you hook up? What is the total load if you add all the items up? Answer these questions and that will tell you what size wire you need.

Use this chart:
http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Supp...ctionTable.pdf

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 16, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
What all are you going you hook up? What is the total load if you add all the items up? Answer these questions and that will tell you what size wire you need.

Use this chart:
http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Supp...ctionTable.pdf
I don't know exactly, most of the terminals will be "just in case". Right now I have ignition, light warning and tach, and will need to hook up electric choke and stereo later. I'm thinking about installing two rear window fans as well, so in short: I want a fairly good amount of spare terminals for future accessories. I'll probably figure it for 15 amp per fuse and go from there.

1969 Malibu in progress
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 16, 8:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If you place it close (less than 3') to the battery then 10ga should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1169 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.