Alternator wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 6:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

Alternator wiring

Hi guys

Getting back to putting car together after 2 years. I just noticed the previous owner had this alternator hooked up as a single wire. From what I read it's better not to use this method. Can someone please let me know how to wire this alternator for a 3 wire? I still have the OEM voltage regulator wiring but it's not connected to anything. Im assuming this alternator has a internal voltage regulator because the OEM external is missing. I hope to do this this weekend.
Thanks in advance!!

Corey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461362836971.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	352546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 8:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

Also if it matters I'm using the shift works S505 ammeter gauge conversion kit. I have been googling but can't find a wiring diagram for chevelle without using the external regulator. I hope to finish this over the weekend
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

Re: Alternator wiring

Someone please chime in!! I found this diagram how does this sound???

1) Cut off original VR connector

2)Solder the blue and brown together, then tee a new wire off that solder joint for the blue and brown wires and connect to terminal 1 at alternator

3)Solder the white and red together, then tee a new wire off that solder joint for the white and red and connect to terminal 2 at alternator

Everything else seems self explanatory.

How come in some diagrams pin #2 on the alternator connects to the main battery lug on the alternator????
Also how come in some diagrams the the white and red are capped off separately from each other at the old VR connector?
Which diagram do I follow?

The pic in the first post is my alternator. It has the horizontal pins.

Corey-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new_alternator_wiring_pic2 (1).JPG
Views:	3867
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	352626  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 8:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Hello.

You didn't mention what year your car is, but I'll go with trying to answer your questions about the diagram you posted and some other questions.

Basically, the blue and white wires ran from the external voltage regulator over to the old externally regulated alternator and provided the voltage drop/distance through the wiring so that the regulator could see what was being produced farther away from the alternator. So, the long run of white wire that gets connected to the red wire provides some resistance. You could jumper that straight to the output of the alternator, but then you wouldn't get much voltage drop sensed, and the alternator would constantly put out lower volts. This is why you see some people jump it that way, and this is also effectively how the single wire alternators work (they jump it internally.)

In your steps, I'm not sure why you need to tee a new wire off the solder joints you are recommending - the blue and white wires should already be terminated somewhere near your alternator, so just connect them into the two terminals at the alternator and you should be good to go. If you tee off, you'll have to find the old two wires and cap them off anyway and will just have extra wires laying around.

BTW, this is the exact same mess I'm cleaning up in my car (72) right now - the PO put in a single wire alternator, which constantly only runs at about 13.6 volts (senses no voltage drop) and the warning light is always on because it has been bypassed (the brown wire.) I'm switching over to an internally regulated alternator, removing the voltage regulator and jumping it exactly as this picture shows.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r, 3.08
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

Thank you very much for the reply!!! The moron who owned the car before me cut some wires out of the front harness. So now I'm a moron because I'm not sure how to fix it. I want to change it to a 3 wire. It is for a 66 chevelle. I posted a pick of what wires are still present. As you can see he cut the OEM VR harness out but I still have it. I still have no clue where to get the wires from and get to alternator. Previous owner had it hooked up as a single wire. I hope the pics help. Please let me know if you need more.

Corey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1461419549063.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	352665   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461419612743.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	352673   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461419675958.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	352681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461419698485.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	352689  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallonepanerai View Post
Someone please chime in!! I found this diagram how does this sound???

1) Cut off original VR connector

2)Solder the blue and brown together, then tee a new wire off that solder joint for the blue and brown wires and connect to terminal 1 at alternator

3)Solder the white and red together, then tee a new wire off that solder joint for the white and red and connect to terminal 2 at alternator

Everything else seems self explanatory.

How come in some diagrams pin #2 on the alternator connects to the main battery lug on the alternator????
Also how come in some diagrams the the white and red are capped off separately from each other at the old VR connector?
Which diagram do I follow?

The pic in the first post is my alternator. It has the horizontal pins.

Corey-
Is the original wiring intact? If so, Don't cut off the connector and solder the wires together, just make jumpers with spade connectors connecting the inner 2 and outer 2. This will allow voltage sensing and dash light to work properly, and alternator to function as designed. On mine I didn't bother with the remote voltage sensing, just the dash light operation and it works great. You can buy adapters for the new alternators and jumpers for the external regulators if you don't want to make your own.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

Thank you for the reply. Yes the original VR wiring is already cut off. It's in the pic with it laying on the tire, 4 wires and connector. Should i splice it back together like factory.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 6:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

Thank you everyone. I didn't realize that the blue and white wires on VR connector doubled back to the alternator. All cleaned up and connected now
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 5:36 PM
Gold Founding Member

If you use that diagram, you MUST NOT use the OEM wire positions at the alternator. The two smaller wires must be connected "reversed", exactly as shown in that diagram, not as shown in the GM service manual.

For reasons I don't understand and can't comprehend, MAD has arranged the jumpers so as to require reversed wires at the alternator. Connecting them the way GM intends caused my Toronado to fry the alternator. Their system works, but the color codes for the wires are backwards at the alternator.

Fixing the color codes to match OEM at the alternator requires the jumper wires at the external-regulator plastic connector be re-arranged so that #4 connects to #2, and #3 connects to "F".

Again, either way works as long as the right wires are connected in the proper place depending on how the regulator connector is jumpered.

What are you using for an alternator? The one-wire alternator you have is unlikely to be compatible with the "3-wire" harness.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 16, 6:41 PM
Gold Member

This page from the TechRef part of the site might help you:

Technical Reference #14

In case you are wondering just how to get to the TechRef pages, you hit the "tools" button for a menu that shows "quick links" and then hit Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1112 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.