Electrical problem ..please help!!! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Streib

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 16, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Electrical problem ..please help!!!

So I've been messing with hack wiring today. Got a new engine harness and managed to get power to ignition, distributor and starter. When I Turn the key one click (which would normally power the ignition and dash but no starter) the starter engages along with the distributor. Instead of when you turn the Key a full turn... Short story the starter stays engaged unless I kill power to car. Any ideas as to what I got wired wrong.
I have a basic understanding of electric but I really need help with this.
1972 ,non ss ,sbs ,th350
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 16, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Electrical problem ..please help!!!

Chances are you have the small wires backwards on the starter solenoid.

Disconnect the battery, remove the small wires on the small studs of the starter solenoid, then position them so they don't touch anything, then reconnect the battery and see which one shows power only when the key is in the crank position and this would go to the "S" terminal small stud on the starter solenoid and then the other goes to the "I" terminals small stud on the starter solenoid.

You can use a test light for checking things or a volt meter.

Jim
Dean likes this.

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 4:12 PM
Tech Team
Blake

Make sure the neither of the two smaller wire ring terminals are touching the larger BAT+ terminal. I notice that these two terminals are way too close to main battery terminal.

Basically you're getting current through your starter field windings through the main starter battery source at contacts/coil causing the prime mover to turn.

Also, red facing towards passenger fender, purple twoards driver fender.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 4:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

While the below are for a 6 cylinder starter on my 68 Chevy II, the purple wire which should only have power when the key is in the crank position is closest to the motor and the ignition 12 volt output is the yellow farthest away from the block. I have to think 6 and V8 solenoids are the same in layout.

Also on my original solenoid, the small stud on the right for the purple wire has the S (for solenoid) and the other is marked R (for resistance wire).

Hope this helps.

Jim

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Thanks guys, I'm going to work on the car tomorrow. I'll let you know how I made out!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Looks like that was my problem. New starters on the way
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 1:30 PM Thread Starter
Rich

My solenoid s Missing a post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461432495510.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	352761  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 16, 2:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5 View Post
My solenoid s Missing a post
Yep, you have both the wires to the "S" stud on the solenoid.

Since we don't know what you have for an ignition system and how it is getting power, post back with that info. The reason for this is you might be removing the one wire attached to the solenoid now with the other small wire and then either abandoning this one wire or you may have to put in a diode on the one wire.

Another option is see if just the solenoid can be swapped for the one with the two small studs on it and then those two small wires can go to the correct studs on the new solenoid.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1179 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.