Learned something new about upgrading alternator - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Schurkey
  • 1 Post By 70SSTHUMPER
  • 1 Post By 70SSTHUMPER

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 16, 2:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Learned something new about upgrading alternator

I changed out my 55 amp alt to a 140 amp alt because of all the extra wattage I am going to be drawing. I had a 140 Watt alt built with a dummy regulator with the plan of using my external regulator. Got it all assembled in the car and started the car. The volt gauge pegged at 16+ volts and stayed there until the electric fan kicked in and then it dropped to around 14 volts, until the fan shut off and then it pegged again. I thought, no big deal I will just adjust the external regulator as needed to get the voltage down to a manageable voltage. NOT!!! The previous owner had replaced the electro-mechanical regulator with a digital one. Another big surprise was no adjustable regulators to be had. NAPA's supplier had discontinued making them for lack of demand.
So, I contacted the guy that made my alt and he sent me an internal regulator to re re-build my 140 amp. Took it apart and placed the new regulator in and sealed it back up. Closed off all the old wires that the old regulator attached to and now I run an 8 gauge wire from the starter solenoid to the battery post on the alt and the internal regulator now regulates the battery charging.
Down side no idiot lights to warn when alt dies, but I do have the volt meter to tell me if it is charging. It sits at about 14.3 now, drops a little bit when fan kicks on but few seconds later comes up when the regulator senses the voltage drop.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by KenBob; Apr 21st, 16 at 2:08 PM. Reason: adding more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 16, 11:04 PM
Gold Founding Member

Re: Learned something new about upgrading alternator

I don't understand this at all.

GM has a service bulletin regarding internal regulator alternator parts versus external regulator alternator parts--the 10 SI vs. 10 DN series alternators.

The parts aren't interchangeable because the resistance is lower in the newer (10SI) series, so the regulator can't control voltage. The extra current draw through the lower-resistance tends to damage the external regulator, though.

Nobody would send out an alternator for an external regulator, then send you an internal regulator to "fix" runaway voltage. There's no place to put a regulator in a 10DN.

Photos? What series alternator is this?
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Your aggressive and I will not respond.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

You can wire up the old voltage regulator plug and new alternator to have the idiot light still working.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 11:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
Your aggressive and I will not respond.
Not at all, sorry you feel this way. I think Schurkey is bringing up some excellent points here. I also think he has been very helpful on many different threads helping many members here.

Keep your fire extinguisher handy.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Garage

I don't find Schurkey's response at all aggressive. Schurkey has responded to several of my electrical post and has been very helpful to me. I hope you reconsider and use his expertise.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Well, I would just like to say that you and all your cronies on here have managed to ruin my experience on this forum. All Schurkey would have had to do was ask me nicely to give more detail into my post, instead he had to ASSUME things that I never even mentioned in my post. Such as 10dn and 10si, when in fact I have a 12SI and I would have told him that. And my information is coming from an alt builder with 30 years experience. And then quoting GM service bulletins which have nothing to do with anything in my post, just to try and make himself look intelligent is my guess.

It makes me wonder why anyone posts anything on here if this is an example of how people get treated when they do.

Now you all can say what you want to say about me<<<doesn't give a rats ass.

Out of all the responses to questions I have had on here I have gotten two straight answers, the rest where people flaunting their so called knowlwdge or going off on their own issues with out helping at all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

"Out of all the responses to questions I have had on here I have gotten two straight answers, the rest where people flaunting their so called knowlwdge or going off on their own issues with out helping at all. "

Well, you got two straight answers, Schurkey didn't get any, no not one. Your far too defensive to carry on a conversation, ...... "what kind of coffee do you drink?????

Maybe we can just relax and start over? Sorry if someone came across the wrong way.....................
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1220 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.