Light switch? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage
Re: Light switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notes View Post
Dave, hope you get an answer. Pic that Don posted (thanks) is a metal dash. My sweep dash is plastic. 1972. Not an SS. The large round ground connector doesnít even fit flush around the hole, so canít believe there isnít something else that goes there to brace it and keep it from spinning. If I try to tighten up the nut coming from the front to the metal shaft on the switch something is going to crack. Anybody with a plastic dash that can help out here? Would it help to move it to another forum category? Thanks.
I looked at it more closely today. The headlight switch has a small notch on the metal housing right in the front. It's on the perimeter of the area where the mount screw attaches. The ground strap has a corresponding cutout for this notch. So I put the ground strap against the headlight switch and it locks into that notch. Dakota provides a plastic plate to go between the switch and the SS gauge pod. Not sure why, but anyway, I used that and put the switch and ground assembly through the hole in the gauge pod , and tightened down the mount nut. So even though one side is against plastic, the other side is touching the metal housing of the headlight switch. So it should provide a ground.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 8:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks, Dave. My issues isnít so much the ground as it is the secure mounting. Tab on switch goes in notch on ground. Ground does not fit flush with the back of the dash around the hole. It wobbles. There is also a notch in the hole in the dash. Tab is too short to go into it. Iím too chicken sh.. to tighten the nut from the front.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 8:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

The headlight switch mounts to the gauge pod not the dash. All it does is pass through the dash. Are you using the repop SS dash conversion?

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 8:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Notes, the picture I posted is from a '71 sweep dash. All the dashes from that period (70-72) are plastic

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 9:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Re read some of your posts. Now I think I understand. I just removed my sweep dash. The switch went through the ground, through the dash and the nut tightened it down. Nothing else.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Many thanks to all for the replies. In it goes! Grateful to have found this list. Appreciate all the help.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 16, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Tab on switch did not lock into the notch on the large ground. Couldnít get it to line up when trying to install the bolt from the front. The ground moved all over. Put a drop of super glue on the back of the ground, lined the slot in it up with the tab on the switch, put in the bolt & let it sit. Took the bolt out, lined everything up, put in the bolt from the front & Iím good to go. No big deal for you guys, but Iím having a beer. Thanks for your help.
MidLife72 and 70CHEVELLE396 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1522 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.