72 starter wiring under dash help - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
ken

Garage
72 starter wiring under dash help

Hi all, with all the help from this site I have been able to resolve a few wiring issues on my 72 SS convertible. thanks to all.

The person who I got the car from bypasses some of the stock wiring because he didn't know how to troubleshoot to well.

I have been working on the wiring to the starter and under the dash there is the purple wire with a white striped from the ignition switch which goes to a two wire connector where the purple wire that goes to the starter is connected beside it. I cannot find where this plus into or does a jumper plug connects to it?

If I jumper from the purple and white to the purple I get power to the purple wire for the starter when I turn the key to start.

I'm trying to get her wiring back to stock so I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks, ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 1:11 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Re: 72 starter wiring under dash help

I believe your looking at the connector that goes to the neutral start switch that mounts at the lower end of the steering column.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 1:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Is the car automatic or manual. Or was it converted over to a manual. That connector with the purple wires should connect to a half moon type of switch on top of the column down near the firewall. There should also be another connector hooked to that switch that controls the back up lights. If the car was converted to a manual you can run a jumper wire between the 2 purple wires to get the car to start but you will have to dump the clutch when you start it because if it's in gear the car is going to jump. As far as the back up lights working if it was converted to a manual you would have to run a switch off the 4 speed reverse linkage and run the wires up to the other connector on the switch on top of the column.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 2:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
ken

Garage

The car is all original and auto. I replaced the neutral switch which fixed the reverse light but these purple wires were not connected to it. I will go and check it out.

Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 2:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
ken

Garage

Ok, so I see the two open spade connectors on the neutral switch but hard to see which way the connector plugs in. Does it matter because I don't want to burn anything up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 16, 3:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
ken

Garage
Thumbs up Re: 72 starter wiring under dash help

Ok I found it in the diagram. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1305 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.