Wiper Motor Ground Plate - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage
Wiper Motor Ground Plate

Ok, I replaced my wiper motor, switch and checked wiring ( new wiring harness). And my wipers still don't work on my 1970 Chevelle. I have tried to look for pics of how the wiper motor ground plate mounts but have found nothing! I read this is why my wipers are not working. Does anyone know how this ground plate should mount? Or do I even have the right plate for my motor? Here are some pics....
Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WiperMotor.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	338874   Click image for larger version

Name:	GroundPlate.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	338882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Re: Wiper Motor Ground Plate

You need to ground the switch. The wiper motor has power all the time and the various functions are controlled by the switch grounding each function accordingly so if the switch isn't grounded nothing on the wiper motor will work.

The switch typically uses a ground strap for this such as the one shown in your picture where the wiper motor has one that is usually shorter attached to the lower bolt on the wiper motor although I'm not completely sure with your particular year.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 1:59 PM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage

Thanks Rob! I currently have the switch grounded. Here is a picture of the switch. Perhaps the paint on switch needs to be scraped off for the ground strap/wire???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Switch.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	338930  

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 2:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Isn't that the wrong motor for a 70? Shouldn't it be the round motor?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 2:27 PM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage

Bill, its the correct one (I think). Mounts perfectly and is exact to what was there before. Bought off of OPGI for correct year ( 1970), non-recessed,etc... I would feel real stupid if it was the wrong one! But wouldn't be the first time! Ha.....
It might look weird because I do not have the washer canister attached or the canister housing ( ?)...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 2:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Ok, I see the square one is for non-consealed wipers and the round is for consealed. I don't think I know what a non-consealed wiper setup looks like on 69-72. Don't all of them conseal behind the hood?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage

I think they all are recessed to a point. I'm frustrated because I have already spent big money on the wipers, to the tune of about $450 ( $200/motor, $50/switch,$100 transmission arm, $100 wipers). Now I am hell bent on getting them to work! I would rather try to figure it out myself than take it to a shop and spend more money! Sigh.... I was hoping the wiper motor ground plate was the only missing part.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

To use the brass ground strap you are showing you have to remove one of the rubber mount steel bushings. Now sandwich the big end of the brass strap between the rubber and steel bushing and remount it. The smaller end with the hole should bolt to the wiper metal body somewhere. My motor is one of the round ones so I don't know exactly where the small end should bolt to on your plate. They make a shorter brass ground strap also but you could alter that one if you need to. The rubber bushings are for vibration the brass strap gets it ground to the firewall by the mounting screw going thru the steel bushing. After everything else you replaced I would have bought a new rubber mounting kit too.

1964-1972 Chevelle Wiper Motor Mounting Kit w/o Hidden Wipers

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

Last edited by HKalin; Mar 8th, 16 at 7:18 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 7:24 PM
Gold Member
Joe

First off, I hope this car ISN'T a Malibu or SS vehicle.

Typically stripped down cars got the non-depressed park wiper motors (Base model Chevelle, 300 Deluxe etc.). The upscale trim package Malibu or Super Sport in '70 automatically got the depressed park wiper system.

The depressed park units have a round cylinder like motor.

The switches are different between depressed park and non-depressed park as far as their functionality go. They aren't interchangeable. Also different transmission equipment connecting to the arms and the different base trim at the bottom of the windshield.

If your car is mechanically set-up correctly for non-depressed park, check your wiring functionality and switch operation via my guide:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-e...r-systems.html

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 10:39 PM
Team Member
Dave

Read this thread, it may help.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
To use the brass ground strap you are showing you have to remove one of the rubber mount steel bushings. Now sandwich the big end of the brass strap between the rubber and steel bushing and remount it. The smaller end with the hole should bolt to the wiper metal body somewhere. My motor is one of the round ones so I don't know exactly where the small end should bolt to on your plate. They make a shorter brass ground strap also but you could alter that one if you need to. The rubber bushings are for vibration the brass strap gets it ground to the firewall by the mounting screw going thru the steel bushing. After everything else you replaced I would have bought a new rubber mounting kit too.

1964-1972 Chevelle Wiper Motor Mounting Kit w/o Hidden Wipers
Hank, I get how the big end should mount. But for the small end, when you say "wiper metal body", you mean "wiper motor metal body", correct? Just wanted to clarify...Thank you..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage

Joe, thanks for info and link! I am not sure what trim or model I have. I have the original Bill of Sale at home and will take a look when I get home. But I know it came with a 307.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 5:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

My car was a 307 Malibu but I'm sure you could have got that motor in a cheaper Chevelle model. The small end of the brass strap should mount to the wiper plate or motor what ever you want to call it. Your wiper motor is not grounded until that strap is connected to it.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 11:06 PM
Team Member
Steamy

Wink Re: Wiper Motor Ground Plate

Round motor, but same principle. Large hole end goes over the grommet sleeve that mounts the motor to the firewall, small end goes to the wiper transmission cover bolt.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Andrew

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
First off, I hope this car ISN'T a Malibu or SS vehicle.

Typically stripped down cars got the non-depressed park wiper motors (Base model Chevelle, 300 Deluxe etc.). The upscale trim package Malibu or Super Sport in '70 automatically got the depressed park wiper system.

The depressed park units have a round cylinder like motor.

The switches are different between depressed park and non-depressed park as far as their functionality go. They aren't interchangeable. Also different transmission equipment connecting to the arms and the different base trim at the bottom of the windshield.

If your car is mechanically set-up correctly for non-depressed park, check your wiring functionality and switch operation via my guide:

Joe, my model number is 13437. So, from my basic search I have found I have the base or basic model. So, recessed wipers would not be included in my original package... please advise if I am wrong.... thanks!

1970 Chevelle RestoMod SBC 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1580 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.