1966 chevelle dash harness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 16, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

1966 chevelle dash harness

Hi guys

Im in need of a 1966 chevelle ss dash wiring harness. Can someone let me know what other years are compatible? Im assuming a 67 but wasnt sure about earlier years. Also are harnesses different depending on which model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 16, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: 1966 chevelle dash harness

66 is kind of an odd year. Classic muscle sells two different harnesses for 67; 5 or 6 for 66 depending upon options, like gauges, Ac, column shift etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 16, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Corey

I would like to buy a used original on ebay or someplace. I can find some from a 65 but none from a 66 or 67 at the moment. Thats why i was asking what the 66 is interchangeable with

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 1:53 AM
Senior Tech Team

You can also use one from a '67, but there will be slight differences from year to year. There will also be differences depending on the options of the car the harness came with. Auto trans, A/C, factory gauges etc. all determine which connectors the harness came with.

If you have a car with gauges & you find a harness from an idiot light dash, you won't have all the wires & connectors needed to make it all work. I have modified a couple of harnesses over the years when adding gauges to idiot light cars, but it's tricky to find the proper connectors if that's important to you.

If you don't have a harness at all, the new harnesses from M&H are a great product. I've used their forward lamp harness on a '67 & it was really nice. AAW also has a great reputation, but I've never used their products. In the long run you'd be much better off with a brand new harness than a 50 year old used piece that you don't know the history of. Just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 9:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Pat

x2 on new quality harness. Unless you find a great unmolested original (doubtful), you may be opening a can of worms chasing old wires that are questionable at best. In my opinion, somethings are better replacing with quality new products vs keeping old, degraded original when it is not absolutely necessary. I would rather be knocked for using good wiring vs having my car go up in flames due to a bad wiring harness ( worst case scenario).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 9:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

FWIW... the dash harness in my a/c '67 chevelle was a nightmare. found an original a/c '66 harness and it swapped in perfectly. Main difference was that the a/c harness was incorporated into the '66 harness instead of a separate harness for the '67. also there was no emergency flasher in the '66 where there was in the '67 - even thought the "ports" were on the fuse block already. I adapted the flasher/wire from the old '67 harness. still working about 20 years later. however Pete is spot on with his post above....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1320 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.