Non-chevelle= 98 gmc k2500 security light no start - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Send a message via AIM to 67kmq
Non-chevelle= 98 gmc k2500 security light no start

Well,

Probably about two years ago I had the security light come on once and I looked up that it might have been because I had a ton of other keys on the keychain. So I took those off, and its been good up until a month ago. Get maybe a mile down the road, security light comes on, truck shuts off. Wait ten minutes, and it fires back up, and I drove it an hour to work one day like that. Fast forward to now and the light blinks and will not let the truck start. More research said try turning the ignition on, start the truck, then let it sit in the ON position for ten minutes, repeat three times. Did that and it fired right up, no security light. Ok- cool. Well today I go out for the first time after that and its back to blinking, no start. I do the next step of trying to bypass the PASSLOCK system and install a resistor, only to find the previous owner already did it. They cut both yellow and orange/black wire from the ignition tumbler and installed a resistor. Resistor ohmed out to 475, but I could not get any reading across any combo of the orange/black and yellow wires with the ignition in the ON position. I just reset the battery and tried the 3x ignition reset, again with no luck. So now what? Really not trying to have a mechanic throw a bunch of money at it, it's a dented up work truck, but it's not making me any money sitting in the road either.

Keep cars, not girlfriends
1967 Chevelle 283 m20 on the way summer 09... or 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 3:01 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Re: Non-chevelle= 98 gmc k2500 security light no start

Have you checked to see if the resistor that was added by the po is still working? Do you know which of the 15 ohms values in the pats system is programmed into your truck?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 4:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Non-chevelle= 98 gmc k2500 security light no start

Have somebody to remove the VSS from the PCM. All LS and Vortec transplants into older cars have it done, should only cost about $50 if you bring the PCM into the shop.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1318 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.