best replacement harness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 16, 9:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

best replacement harness

I'm in the market for a new dash wiring harness for my 68 chevelle project. I want an OE style bolt in deal. I've seen the OE style repro's out there and I've also seen the OE style with an updated fuse block. Can anyone suggest a source for a good quality harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 16, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: best replacement harness

I did not replace my dash harness but I did replace my front wiring harness, engine harness, a/c harness and rear light harness basically every harness that was affected by engine compartment heat or the elements. I used all AAW harnesses and the quality and attention to detail is great. I ordered the engine harness that is made for an HEI and the front harness that is made for an integral voltage regulator and they are spot on.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 16, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

AAW= American Auto Wire?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 1:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
AAW= American Auto Wire?
Yes

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 3:40 AM
Tech Team

I am in the process of installing a AAW in my 68. I would not recommend them at all. I installed the rear harness first and a couple of the grommets that went thru the trunk floor for the fuel sending unit, backup lamps and license plate lights were the wrong size and i had to drill out the holes in the trunk for them to fit.

Then i did the interior harness which was worse. The fuse block kit did not have the fuse block screws with it. After i purchased new screws i found the screws in a separate bag in another kit. Had to remove the factory rear harness connector metal retainer bracket from the bulk head because the new fuse block harness did not have enough clearance to install it. The console light harness wire colors did not match so i had to repin those. I have the auto park wipers and their kit did not have the right connector so i had to reuse my stock connector. The a/c harness had the wrong size grommet on it so i had to get a new grommet from AAW which still did not fit as well as the factory one so i had to reuse a factory grommet which required me to repin the harness to get the grommet installed. Some of the connectors are very hard to install onto the switches which makes removing them even harder such as when i had to remove the a/c harness to install the new grommet my blower motor switch came apart when trying to unplug it.

I have not installed the engine or headlight harness yet so who knows what problems i will have from them.

I will not use AAW again that's for sure

I used their classic update harness.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 7:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I reconditioned my factory harness and fuse block in my 69 Elc... Cleaned up all the fuse holders with a small wire wheel and wiped it all down with CRC lubricating solvent then re taped it.. If the insolation is brittle anywhere scrap it..

I'm an electrician and used to build harnesses, so I know what to look for, so this might not be a good idea for the novice but it doesn't seem to hard.. Make sure you use a cleaner that also lubricates.. I'm thinking WD-40 would work but since I had the good stuff on hand I used it..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 8:01 AM
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Eric
AAW has my vote also. I just did a rear tail light harness & everything was spot on. with all the correct plugs, wire colors & correct length of the wires. it makes it pretty easy to replacing your old stuff. also there's a member on here that's associated with AAW & He's always jumping in to answer question. I don't know how you can beat that. that being said there is a couple others(equally as good) but this is my choice.
hmardown

empty garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 9:22 AM
Team Member
Roger

My vote is for AAW as well. I re-wired my 72 Elky SS w/ the AAW kit and everything went perfect. That was the total car. I had a couple questions and found the AAW tech support people very good to work with.
Another member had problems w/ his AAW kit. But didn't indicate if he tried to contact AAW to resolve the issue. It sounded as if he didn't get the right kit for his car. Don't know.
IMO, if you go w/ AAW and you have questions/problems, call their tech support. They will resolve the problem w/ you.
Just my 2 cents.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax CC DRW
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I pulled my original harness out of storage with the intention of cleaning it up and reusing it. Upon examination I found the large purple wire leading to the neutral safety switch had a melted spot on the insulation.

I know I could fix the melted spot, but I don't know what caused the insulation to become melted. I don't want to take the chance of installing the old harness and having an issue with it in the future.

I was looking at M&H harnesses and their option for ATO fuses and thought that would be a nice option. Whatever harness I end up purchasing I want to be a bolt in deal.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 12:11 PM
Tech Team
Tony

I've installed Painless Performance wire harnesses on 3 different cars. Never had a problem with any of thier kits. EVERY wire has it's destination imprinted on it. KINDA pricey, but thew are quality kits.
B rad '69 elky likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 2:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I use AAW in every car I do whether it's mine or a customer.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 16, 2:36 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Another vote for AAW. They make a quality product and their tech support is top notch. I had to contact tech support a few times during the installation of my classic update kit and they were very helpful. I can say dielectric grease is the harness installers friend.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 16, 7:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kent & Kam

Garage

M&H gets my vote...Bought a AAW kit and opened a box full of wires and parts and for me to finish building their harness. Sent the crap back and bought a M&H set, everything just like factory. plug and play...done...

1971 Chevelle Father/Son Build

Our Link

Team Chevelle #5544 North Texas Camaro Club
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 16, 8:12 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 454 View Post
M&H gets my vote...Bought a AAW kit and opened a box full of wires and parts and for me to finish building their harness. .
If by crimping your terminal ends on your wires that qualifies as "finish building their harness" then yes. As an A & P.mechanic I can tell you that is standard practice for any rewire situation. As far as that goes I would prefer it that way as it permits the installer to make any wire for any circuit the length that the installer chooses. Not some poor 3rd world Asian laborer.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 16, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 454 View Post
M&H gets my vote...Bought a AAW kit and opened a box full of wires and parts and for me to finish building their harness. Sent the crap back and bought a M&H set, everything just like factory. plug and play...done...
If you got a AAW Kit you didn't get there Factory Fit Harnesses. I bought quite a few of their Factory Fit harnesses even some that they modify if your running an HEI or Internal Regulator Alternator. All fit perfectly all mounting clips were in the right spots and all connectors were installed and wire lengths were right on the money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1577 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.