voltage gauge jumping ? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 16, 7:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage
Re: voltage gauge jumping ?

update:
I think I found my problem. I started by checking all my fuses & contacts in the bulk head. there were fuse in there since Nixon was in office. after changing, checking & cleaning everything I still had issues. I couldn't understand why I was hearing a clicking noise under the dash. I only noticed it because the car was not running & I turned the key in the on position. otherwise with the car running I would have never heard it. so this sent me under the dash looking for my flasher(#552). after removing the panel under the steering wheel I was able to find my flasher. all three wires leading to the flasher were pinched between the bracket & two bolts holding up the steering wheel. I mean they were crushed & I was the last one under there about a year ago. I usually check & double check chit like that but it happens. glad I didn't burn the harness up. I dropped the column & everything seems much better. I'll need to fix the three wires because they're toast. I did get to clean up a lot of ground wires & may consider installing relay's to my headlights. I want to thank everyone for jumping in with solutions & advice. so thanks, Rob, Tony, Bill, Dean, Ed, Gary, onovakind67, dogsridewith, & Geoff I appreciate the help.
hmardown

empty garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 16, 3:02 AM
Tech Team
Tony

Glad you got it fixed. And yeah, you are lucky the harness didn't catch fire. A few years ago, a buddy of mine re wired his entire car with a PainlessWiring harness kit . The car was a beautiful 1965 Impala Super Sport. A wire became pinched between the dash structure and a bracket....the wire eventually caught fire and pretty much destroyed the car.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 16, 9:08 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Tony
those three wires are half way between the plug & where they come out of the harness(not much room to work). I couldn't believe how flat the wires got. there's also a couple of frayed wires on two of them. not sure if I'll cut & just shorten them. or maybe just splice an extension & put the flasher off to the side. some days you're windshield, some days you're the bug. thanks.
hmardown

empty garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1457 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.