72 Sweep dash to SS dash conversion - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Proc

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 16, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

72 Sweep dash to SS dash conversion

I am going to attempt to convert the sweep dash in my 72 over to a SS dash. I found one at the swap meet out of a Monte Carlo. The guy said it was a 72, but not completley sure this is true. The gauges are the black face with the white numbers though. It is the dash with idiot lights. It came with a complete factory harness from the firewall plug on including the fuse box. Now that it is all painted and looking good ready for the install, my question is what kind of headaches should I expect when I do this swap? Im not too worried about the idiot lights working since I already have a mechanical gauge setup for backup on the sweep dash. My main worry is the gas gauge, blower, wipers, turn signals, headlights, tail lights ect. Any input is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 12:23 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Re: 72 Sweep dash to SS dash conversion

Wish I could help. I contemplated doing the same conversion, but the grandma sweep style dash kind of grew on me..
hydro462 likes this.

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 12:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Assuming your new dash is the same as you old sweeper (IE: Column shift or Floorshift?). If the new dash is different you will have some mechanical issues, gear select etc. Does the new dash have the seat belt light? Can you post a few photos of the new dash? Wondering if you will need a lamp forward harness to convert?

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

I will definatly post pictures as soon as I figure out how to. As to the floor shift and column shift delema the previous owner broke something in the new dash i can see where the little string for a column shift would hook but its been broke off. Plus the little string is missing on mine already. As much as I hate to I guess the shift indicator will just be for looks. I am wondering about that lamp forward harness. Im not very familiar with the way GM did the pin locations on the firewall connector. I hope they are all fairly standard (unlike dads 72 dart) but my factory assembly manuals are pretty vauge on this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 8:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

We did a sweep to ss a few weeks ago on a friends car. As long as the ss dash has lights and no gauges for temp etc you can use the existing engine harness.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 16, 6:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

I've done 3, more information out there than you'll need. I have PDF's and all kids of crap if you want it.

Same car.. Before

After

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 16, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to reply. Life got pretty hectic for a few days. I'm relieved to hear that everything should work ok since I've got the warning light dash. But I wouldn't mind having those PDFs on hand just in case I have to do some trouble shooting with it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 16, 11:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

PM me your email address and I'll send everything I have on the subject tonight.

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1461 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.