'70 SS396 (clone) harness questions - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

'70 SS396 (clone) harness questions

Hello:

My buddy has a '70 Malibu that is being cloned to SS396. The car did not have the engine or forward wiring harnesses when he bought the car. He purchased both of these through Ground Up (Part #: 15100 for the Engine Harness, and Part #: 15160 for the Fwd. Light Harness).

The 396 is now in the car, and we are trying to tie up loose ends..The harnesses ordered were for a '70 396SS with AUTO trans and no air.

On the DRIVERS SIDE of the car, the following wires are a mystery:

1) Single Green Wire, 90 degree plug on end with 1 flat terminal. This wire comes out of the Fwd. Light Harness. What is it for??

2) Double Green Wire, 90 degree plug on end with 2 flat terminals. This wire also comes out of the Fwd. Light Harness. What is it for?

(Note: Continuity test showed that current will flow through one of these to the other).

3) Orange and Black wires with 90 degree plug on the end (plug is in rubber boot). This wire also has a metal clip on it, as if it should be bolted onto something. What is it? Where does it go? Also, there is a single blue wire that t's off out of this o/b wire..it has a single flat prong on the end. We are guessing that this should go to the oil sending unit (oil filt. location). NOTE: Both of these wires come out of the ENGINE HARNESS.

ON THE PASSENGER SIDE:

(ENGINE HARNESS)

Single Green wire with 90 degree plug on end, containing 2 flat terminals..Water temp sending unit?? What is it?? (NOTE: This green wire appears to be independent of the ones on the passenger side, based on continuity test).

Blue/Black wires..ending in a flat plug with 2 flat terminals..What does this go to??

I am trying to use my 69 manuals to help him out, but I am at a dead end (yeah, I know..get a '70 wiring diagram...If I only had a $$ for each time I told him to do that!!). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 1:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: '70 SS396 (clone) harness questions

1. Single green drivers side would go to temp sender in head.

2. Don't know what the double green would be on drivers side.

3. I think this goes to auto tranny, kick down (orange) and trans switch to tcs (Black)

Engine harness

Single green sounds like the TCS Temp Override switch mounted in passengers head (looks like temp sender with two terminals). One green wire to plug then a jumper from one term to the other.

Dk blue/Black would go to TCS Vacuum control solenoid

See TCS diagram http://home.comcast.net/~txss/TCS.HTM

Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5207 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.