Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue. - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 16, 5:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 305
Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

Hey guys, recently bought a Tanks, Inc. fuel tank kit (with electric pump, fuel level sending unit) for my EFI project. The pump seems to run fine, however the fuel gauge sender seems to be acting funny. See if you can keep up...

When the float on the unit is physically at the 'Full' position, fuel gauge reads at "super full" (needle swings over on top of the 'Generator' light, all the way to the right, at 3 o'clock position)

When float is at 'Half full' position, fuel gauge reads "Full"

When float is at the 'Empty' position, fuel gauge reads back to "super full"

I've seen a few people have stated they need some adjustments, so I played around with the float rod length, having it extend out the opposite side instead, or maybe I had some wires crossed, installed the float resistor backwards/upside down, so I double checked everything, even though I hadn't changed anything other than the tank itself. Everything was installed the way the instructions said. Nothing up in the dash has been touched/changed. Grounds are all good, and it's just the one wire from the sending unit (other than ground wire). It's almost as if the floater resistor was designed sideways. I have not yet reached out to Tanks, Inc yet, as they don't seem to have a support email, and I'm not at the car until after work, of which then they are closed for the day. Do they have a Rep floating in the forums somewhere here?

I'll try digging around on here more for any more info, as well as Google, but figured someone on here probably has the same kit, possibly some advice/troubleshooting ideas. I have photos if anyone needs a visual.

Car is a '69 Chevelle, 307. Dashboard instruments are stock. Wiring harness is an American Autowire kit.

Cheers.

James


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69307/350Chevelle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 16, 9:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Ft Wayne In.
Posts: 13,028
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

If you have a volt/ohm meter, measure the resistance of the sender at full, 1/2, and empty. Should be 90 ohms at full, proportionally down to 0 ohms at empty. Gauge past full is usually an open circuit, in this case, more than 90 ohms.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
Dave Birdwell is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 16, 9:55 PM
Tech Team
Troy
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 542
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

There are several different sending units available, are sure you have the correct one?

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd276.htm
senna is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 16, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Baltimore, Oh
Posts: 1,983
Garage
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

I used the TAN-GML 0-90 ohm, and my gauge reads great. The gauge is NVU 69 series gauges, though. It's a little odd to figure out the installation instructions, but I got it eventually.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
MarkP is online now  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 16, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 305
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
There are several different sending units available, are sure you have the correct one?

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd276.htm


Clicked on your link. I nearly fell over in my chair. Checked my part numbers, they aren't the ones for " '65 and up".... Wow. Can't believe I made such rookie mistake and ordered the wrong part. However, when I added the tank to my shopping cart it suggested my current sender as an accessory. Oh well, always double check your stuff before you order. Live and learn. I'll update once I get the correct sender....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69307/350Chevelle is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 16, 12:58 AM
Tech Team
Troy
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 542
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69307/350Chevelle View Post
Clicked on your link. I nearly fell over in my chair. Checked my part numbers, they aren't the ones for " '65 and up".... Wow. Can't believe I made such rookie mistake and ordered the wrong part. However, when I added the tank to my shopping cart it suggested my current sender as an accessory. Oh well, always double check your stuff before you order. Live and learn. I'll update once I get the correct sender....
Other than the sending unit, how do you like the tank?

This is the set up I plan on using for my LS swap. I really like the idea of an internal pump vs mounting an external pump. And the price point is very nice.
senna is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 16, 5:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 305
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Other than the sending unit, how do you like the tank?

This is the set up I plan on using for my LS swap. I really like the idea of an internal pump vs mounting an external pump. And the price point is very nice.
The price for everything was nice. It all fits in the tank very nicely, and the directions are relatively easy to follow (even if you have the wrong sender). The only thing wrong that I've had trouble with is getting it to fit. I've got a '69 4 door, and perhaps the frame rails are narrower towards the back of the car over the coupes, but I've had to bend the side flange welding points down/up so it's narrower to fit in between the frame rails. I had the same problem with a replacement OEM tank a few years back, it was just too wide to fit. I don't think anyone with a coupe has had that problem. Other than that it's pretty nice so far and I haven't had any issues. The mounting straps were the same, and it comes with a vent tube.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69307/350Chevelle is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 16, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Troy
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 542
Re: Tanks Inc, Fuel float issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69307/350Chevelle View Post
The price for everything was nice. It all fits in the tank very nicely, and the directions are relatively easy to follow (even if you have the wrong sender). The only thing wrong that I've had trouble with is getting it to fit. I've got a '69 4 door, and perhaps the frame rails are narrower towards the back of the car over the coupes, but I've had to bend the side flange welding points down/up so it's narrower to fit in between the frame rails. I had the same problem with a replacement OEM tank a few years back, it was just too wide to fit. I don't think anyone with a coupe has had that problem. Other than that it's pretty nice so far and I haven't had any issues. The mounting straps were the same, and it comes with a vent tube.
Thanks for the info!
senna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1347 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome