No power from ignition posts help - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 2:55 AM Thread Starter
Steve

No power from ignition posts help

I just changed engines, had a v8 pulled it, stuck another rebuilt one in, I have a hei distributer with the power to it coming from the fuse block "ign" post just as I had on the previous engine, except now I have no power!!??? I ran a wire directly from the battery to the distributer for engine (camshaft) break in and it ran fine. Did I miss something here? Can anyone help? Lights and all else seems ok...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 8:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: No power from ignition posts help

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/arch.../t-127025.html

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I would go backwards,--- #1- Ign. ON, In run, Position--- Then check hot wire to HEI with test light. If the hot wire is OK, Then go to the Dist.
#2-- NO power to HEI hot wire, Continue to back up or start at the HEI-12 Vt. source.
Or be a dumb AZZ like me, I have a toggle switch on my 12Vt. HEI-Feed wire from the Fuse box. ( Kill HEI power is nice for cranking engine /or working on Elect, stuff). So my Sta. Wgn. will not start one day. I get grumpy and P!$$ed
After making an Azz of my self ,,,, I turn on the " Toggle Swtch ". Start engine and leave.
I kinda sorta felt the the back half of a Halloween Horse Costume !
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Might want to check out the neutral safety switch.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 10:20 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Neutral safety switch has nothing to do with power to the distributor.
Probably blew the fuse, either that or the fuse is not making good contact with one of its holder clips.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Blew the fuse?? Where is that located?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Here is what I read Dean.

I have a hei distributer with the power to it coming from the fuse block "ign" post just as I had on the previous engine"

Initial start up requires power from the starter.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post

I have a hei distributer with the power to it coming from the fuse block "ign" post just as I had on the previous engine"

All I know is the initial power goes to the starter on the purple wire when you turn the key to start, after engine fires you are in the run position which requires 12v to the distributer, which I had on the wire from the tab on the fuse block labeled ign. Now I don't have power on that tab....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Did you change out the resistor wire for the HEI? I was thinking no power meant it didn't even turn over. I see now where you had to hot wire the car for it to start, didn't read that correctly.

Those fuses can blow and still look good sometimes so when in doubt change the fuse.

My build thread>
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Once again where is this fuse located?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 12:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post

Again, on a Chevelle that has the distributor's primary ignition power wire being fed from the "IGN" terminal on the fuse block, neither the starter or neutral safety switch has anything whatsoever to do with that power wire from the fuse block being dead.
He said the car starts with a jumper from the battery so obviously the starter is working.

Now IF for some reason the bypass wire was put back, the motor would start but die as soon as the key was released from the "start" position.

Check the fuses.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 12:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I *think* it's the radio fuse but can't remember for sure.
check them all

Last edited by Dean; Dec 27th, 15 at 1:04 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 1:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

From the link provided above...

Do the turn signals/heater work? If not, I would check the fuse first. Should be the turn signal/heater fuse, which is right next to the IGN terminal. Anything connected to that terminal is protected by that fuse. With a meter or test light, check both sides of the fuse clip holders. If one side has power and the other doesn't its the fuse. If both sides don't have power, then it would probably be the IGN switch, although if it was, there would be other things not working either, radio, wipers, ect...

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 15, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Found blown fuse, it was the bottom one, car runs great now!!! Thanks to all for hep, sometimes it's just simple stuff when your mind is on your new engine!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1366 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.