starter solenoid - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
TONY

starter solenoid

i had someone suggest i put a ford starter solenoid to stop the starter from not working after the car was hot.I have already put a blanket on the starter.The car has shorty headders that have been ceramic coated.It is a big block car and will not happen when the car is cool.Has anyone done this and if so how is it wired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Re: starter solenoid

I'd suggest replacing the starter, that's the problem. Had the same problem in my car last year with a starter that had been fine for many many years. Might look into one of the small late model permanent magnet starters, probably won't be as close to the headers. Worked out well for me.
Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 12:14 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I've never had to do it (YET) because I found out long long ago that headers are not worth all the trouble that they cause for the little horse power gain on a street driven car but here is one way that somebody posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 12:54 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

IF I was going to install the Ford type solenoid I think I would do it like this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 1:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
IF I was going to install the Ford type solenoid I think I would do it like this.
no this would be better as in
i have done it and it looks like this;
i have electronic ignition also-the coil is powered by alternate wiring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FordSolenoid wiring.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	317801
the solenoid on the starter is energized by the battery cable when start is activated,
i have used it for years, no issues

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

Last edited by VinceS427bb; Dec 19th, 15 at 2:05 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 1:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I had starting issues with my 70 - 468. The old, GM starter was having a tought time doing its job. I bought a NEW Delco Starter with the one piece housing, 70 style ( short HI/Perf Solinoid) and the top thru bolt was designed (long enough)to attach the 70 starter brace.
The New Delco spins the 468 on a VERY HOT day & HOT engine, Like the plugs are out.
Good cables & wiring & starter..... You will be good to go.
When you are in your 70s ,,, You learn. " Good parts aint cheap & Cheap parts aint good "
Bob
P.S. this was 5-6 years and 34.000 miles ago. I had headers in the 70s / 80s, For a race car, Excellent. For a street machine, A Hellava lot of work & Pain for the end result. Do what is best for you.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 1:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ragtop View Post
I'd suggest replacing the starter, that's the problem. Had the same problem in my car last year with a starter that had been fine for many many years. Might look into one of the small late model permanent magnet starters, probably won't be as close to the headers. Worked out well for me.
Jim
X2 this is correct. Starters that don't work when the engine is hot are bad. It's also likely that using a remote solenoid won't make any difference. Replace the starter with a high quality replacement like a high torque Power Master.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
TONY

Thanks for all the input...i am currently running a powermaster 9100 chevy mini starter?The battery is also in the trunk.Iam using 1awg welding cable
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 5:23 PM
Tech Team
Danny

If you decide to go with the ford solenoid get the start-em up kit from mad industries comes with what you need and Mark knows his stuff. Put mine on in 1989 when engine was rebuilt and tight probably don't need it now but has been great and you can hide it if you want.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 6:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3karfan View Post
Thanks for all the input...i am currently running a powermaster 9100 chevy mini starter?The battery is also in the trunk.Iam using 1awg welding cable
With the battery in the trunk and saying you are using 1awg welding cable, do you have a positive cable and a negative 1awg wire going between the battery and the engine ?. If you are running just a 1awg from the battery positive up to the starter and using short connections from the battery negative to the back of the car, do you have another connection between the front of the car and the engine block ?. The power has to make a loop and if there is a restriction in either the positive or negative path, the starter might not be getting what it needs.

Another thing to look at is with a rear mounted battery, where is the voltage sense wire on the alternator connected at ?. If the voltage sense wire is up front, then due to the voltage drops on the cabling back to the battery, you may have 14 volts up front but in back have less to where the battery might not be getting fully charged.

Another thing to look at is the connections on things like the 1awg cable. Sometimes crimped on connections are fine and last a long time but maybe solder the lugs onto the wire.

The powermaster 9100 installation manual also states that the starter is not designed for high compression motors. They also suggest using a 1awg when the main cable is 7' long. If it's closer to 10' then they suggest using a 1/0 cable.

Also, has it always been this way or has the issue slowly been become worse and worse ?.

Maybe the battery is weak ?.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 7:10 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
no this would be better as in
i have done it and it looks like this;
i have electronic ignition also-the coil is powered by alternate wiring.
Attachment 317801
the solenoid on the starter is energized by the battery cable when start is activated,
i have used it for years, no issues
Yep, that would work fine too.
There is no "I" terminal, it should be labeled "R" on a GM starter but I guess it doesn't matter since there is no wire on that terminal (if no points).

Actually, I personally believe that although it does work, installing the second solenoid is really fixing the symptom rather than fixing the cause which is usually not enough power to the "S" terminal under load caused by poor connections but it is a lot easier than fixing the cause.

IF the battery has be re-located, refer to post #10

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 15, 5:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
poor connections
Mmmmhhhhhhmmmmm.

That's been pretty much the totality of my experience with this "heat soak" stuff. That and properly sized wiring with soldered, heat shrunk connections. Takes lots of time but worth it.

Bill

Last edited by davewho1; Dec 22nd, 15 at 12:25 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1399 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.