Cheap and easy LED Tail lights - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 15, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage
Cheap and easy LED Tail lights

So I noticed one of my tail lights wasn't as bright as the other. Probably been this way for years since I've never checked.

So I order up an LED conversion kit from Trim parts and proceeded to dive in. Upon disassembly of my light housings I found somebody before me had already installed a make shift LED set up.

They took LED trailer lights (6"X2") filed them too fit and snuck them into the tail light lenses. Just a simple matter of running the black wire to the brown and the red trailer light wire to the green. The white wire was grounded to the light housing or quarter extension. Some of the left side bulbs had gone dead (these could be pretty old) dimming that side.

So I returned the $140 dollar conversion kit and ordered a pair of new 6"X2" trailer lights for a grand total of $20. They work great and I'm $100 dollar ahead. I doubt I'm the only person who has this set up, but I thought I'd post this up in case any one else is as cheap as me.

BTW, my car is a 68 but given the variety of shapes and configurations of lights available for trailers there's probably a size available to fit any car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 1:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Cheap and easy LED Tail lights

Your SS396 looks great and sounds great too. This is great information, but I've never been a fan of LED tail lamps. So could you post a video (or a couple of photos) of them in operation -- maybe I'll change my mind (it's happened before).

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 15, 6:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Your SS396 looks great and sounds great too. This is great information, but I've never been a fan of LED tail lamps. So could you post a video (or a couple of photos) of them in operation -- maybe I'll change my mind (it's happened before).
Here's a cel phone pic.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 15, 3:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

that looks decent, cheap too. I typed in 6"X2" trailer lights in ebay and got many hits. do you take apart the trailer LEDs and install them or fit it in there, as space allows, plastic and all?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 15, 1:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Cpe307 View Post
that looks decent, cheap too. I typed in 6"X2" trailer lights in ebay and got many hits. do you take apart the trailer LEDs and install them or fit it in there, as space allows, plastic and all?
The entire assembly fit's inside the tail light lens. I had to file down one side but no big deal. I also used a little 2 sided clear tape so they wouldn't move around in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1395 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.