1969 Malibu dome light - passenger door turns it on, but not driver's - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 15, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

1969 Malibu dome light - passenger door turns it on, but not driver's

My driver side door won't turn on the dome light when opened, but the passenger side door works fine. Everything else works well. I can turn the dome light on and off with the headlight switch and the dimmer works normally.

I just installed a headlight relay system into the low beams. It not only made all four headlights brighter, but it brightened the dash lights, brought back the little blue hi beam light, and brightened the dome light. The fuel gauge still reads differently (less) when the headlights are turned on.

I thought that maybe the relay and the driver door not turning on the dome light was a coincidence, but now I'm not sure. After installing the relay both doors would turn on the dome light, but now, after a couple of hours, the driver side door no longer will. There are no blown fuses and assuming anyway that both doors go off the same fuse for the dome light, I replaced the driver side switch with no change -- still no dome light with that door open.

I'm going to go back in with a test light/meter, but wondering if someone's encountered this and can give some advice that would save some diagnostic time. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 15, 4:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Re: 1969 Malibu dome light - passenger door turns it on, but not drive

check the switch at the door sill it might need to be grounded better or wire there might be disconnected
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 15, 5:12 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
check the switch at the door sill it might need to be grounded better or wire there might be disconnected
x2. There are two wires that connect to this plunger, one for the dome light and one for the key buzzer that sounds when the driver door is opened with the key in the ignition switch.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 15, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Just to clarify. The wires to the Dome Lamp System are always hot: The door jamb switches act as grounds. You could run a wire from the appropriate spade on the Driver's Door Jamb Switch to an unpainted location on the body shell: The Dome Lamp should then light. You would then want to make sure you have a unpainted spot in or at the Door Jamb Switch's hole for the switch to ground through.

From your description of your dash issues, it sounds to me that you have more than one ground that is not functioning at 100%. You may want to check those grounds out as your under dash lamp system is not performing up to specification.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 15, 1:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to dig in this week and see if I can find the problem. The hi-beam blue light and dash lights coming back steady from just a relay installed by the battery may have been a happy accident. There's probably still an issue as the fuel gauge works, but drops down about 2 clicks when the headlight switch is turned on. I'll see if I can find the ground(s) under the dash that's loose or missing. That may also fix the driver door dome light switch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 15, 5:07 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

There's a ground wire on '69's from the metal gauge/speedo housing (on the backside of the plastic dash bezel) to the metal dash frame. Could be that wire is broken or the attachment point(s) aren't good. Maybe run a new ground where you can get access under the dash. As far as the gas gauge, also make sure the ground wire from the pickup in the tank to the car body is good.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 15, 9:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
There's a ground wire on '69's from the metal gauge/speedo housing (on the backside of the plastic dash bezel) to the metal dash frame. Could be that wire is broken or the attachment point(s) aren't good. Maybe run a new ground where you can get access under the dash. As far as the gas gauge, also make sure the ground wire from the pickup in the tank to the car body is good.
Thanks for the pointers, Von. I'll take a look at both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1401 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.