Team Chevelle banner

'68 el Camino Backup Lights - Candle power

774 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  robpp 
#1 ·
I am going to change out the red reflector housings in the bumper in my '72 with functional ones from a '68 el Camino so I can get the red lights to be on as running lights, not brake lights. Was wondering if anyone knows a compatible bulb to the 1156 but dimmer (standard backup bulbs in the backup lights have 32 candle power) so they look like running lights rather than being bright like brake lights, so looking for a bulb that is like an 1156 but dimmer (less than 32 candle power)?

#3 ·
Well, 1141 is not much less and still more than the 1157 that runs the brake/turn signal. Found this website (http://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm) that lists the 1156 with 32CP, the 1157 that is in the taillights (brake/turn signals and running lights) shows 21/4CP, so the brake/turn signal filament looks like it is 21CP and the running lights are 4CP.

So what I am looking for is a bulb that has an 1156 housing with 4CP to match the running lights......

#4 ·
You could try an old # 67 bulb. Its a single filiment bulb used years ago in trucks for marker lights. Remember ( way back) when cars had the old red and or colored lights in the fender wells, With the snap ring that held the lens in the housing. ( 60s/70s era.).
This bulb has about the same or close to the brightness as a todays= 194 bulb. Bottom line its a " Marker Light Bulb ". Just something to think about.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.