1157 led bulbs - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 6:56 AM Thread Starter
JERRY

1157 led bulbs

I have a 69 Chevelle with standard 1157 bulbs in the car. I purchased a set from Pep Boys of 1157 led (i think it had 9 leds in the bulb). The parking lights and brake lights work fine but the turn signals did not. I even tried a different set still no turn signals. Do I need to change anything else. I also did not see any difference of brightness with the led bulbs. Thanks Jerry

Jerry--Tampa , Fl
69 Chevelle 350/350 3:31 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 7:23 AM
bln
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: 1157 led bulbs

you just wasted your money . led lights draw less juice than a standard bulb. those bulbs are junk if you ask me. there is something you can put in there to make the turn signals work but I would say it is a 1157 bulb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 7:27 AM
Tech Team
robert

Send a message via AIM to monte7ocar Send a message via Yahoo to monte7ocar

Jerry you need to add a digital flasher so the turn signals work.

1970 el camino

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 9:28 AM
Tech Team
Rich

1157 led bulbs

This topic just came up the other day. The flasher is mentioned as being needed for the turn signals and it is a drop in replacement for the existing flasher.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show....php?p=8292617

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 9:36 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Garage

I recently installed white LED lamps from Super Bright Leds, #1157-W26-CBT, $20 each. Turn and stop light is at least as bright as the 1157s. I also installed 3-wire sockets from NPD to assure a good ground connection. This setup did not require a solid state flasher. They draw enough current to flash at a normal rate.
The only problem is that the lamps are cylindrical shape and the lower edge interferes slightly with the metal tabs extending from the socket to hold the socket in place. I bent the tabs away from the lamp base and also squeezed the rolled over end of the tabs. The tabs keep the socket in the mounting hole of the '69 but not tightly. I used silicone RTV type sealant on the socket to hold it in place. A thin blade can be used to slice through the sealant for removal. The RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) sealant is easy to peel off. The '69 housing only allows access to about 180 degrees of the socket base, so use the sealant on just that side.
Super Bright website is one of the few that provide illumination output rating.

Tom
'69 SS396 4-Speed Hardtop Red/Red

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 8:02 AM Thread Starter
JERRY

Do I have to order the digital flasher or can it be purchased locally here in Tampa. Thanks for the education. Jerry

Jerry--Tampa , Fl
69 Chevelle 350/350 3:31 Posi
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 8:07 AM
Tech Team
robert

Send a message via AIM to monte7ocar Send a message via Yahoo to monte7ocar

Should be able to pick it up local, just ask for a digital flasher not sure if the 4 way flasher is need to be swap out as well or not.

1970 el camino

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 8:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage
Re: 1157 led

If the LED bulbs are no brighter than the normal 1157 bulbs, why not just stick with the standard 1157 and save the hassle??

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 11:57 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Garage

My original setup was clearly not producing enough light. The sockets and ground method were poor. I decided to upgrade all components. I always wanted to try the LEDs. The system works well. I can't drive the car and watch the lights under different conditions. I said they are at least as bright. I don't want to say they are brighter if I can't say how much of an improvement. You really have to see them on the street in the sunlight to judge.

Tom

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 12:26 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

There's dozens of 1157 LEDs on the market. I have some that are >2X as bright as the incandescent ones they replaced. The bulbs I bought were 550 lumens compared to less than 200 for a replacement incandescent. They were very expensive at about $25 each but worth it to me as they were for my motorcycle and I wanted it to be seen.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

^^^^^^^^^^^^ agree with alan.

look at the Philips bulbs recently released.

also, for LED it is recommend to use same color bulb as lens for the most output.

so you want RED for the tails.

ROB

69 El Camino

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 15, 4:18 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Garage

Rob, I went with white LEDs because they are brighter than the reds in the type I bought. The color looks fine.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1405 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.