Tach and Gauge Conversion 69 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 15, 1:01 PM Thread Starter
Richard

Tach and Gauge Conversion 69 Chevelle

I have a 1969 Chevelle Malibu with fuel gauge and warning lights. I would like to convert to tach and gauges (SS trim). Ausley's has a 1969 Dash guage conversion kit (gauge, wiring harness, temp and oil sending units). I as wondering if this is fairly simple process to complete and if the instructions are adequate.

1969 Chevelle, Malibu, Convertible, Glacier Blue, 350ci #'s matching

Last edited by LevonH; Nov 25th, 15 at 6:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 15, 6:41 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: Tach and Gauge Conversion

I don't have any experience with the instructions, but be prepared for a large job of disassembling the dash and taking pictures and notes of how things are routed and mounted so reassembly is not a nightmarish guessing game. It's one of those things that multiply as while you're in there you want to inspect heating ducts for "cleanliness" finding any broken or loose items etc.

Take your time, pay close attention to ground wire points and it may be worthwhile to have items "hang" to test before final assembly in case the new stuff doesn't work (yes it happens).

Also, if this is a column shift auto car, remember to disconnect the transmission indicator pulley cable before dropping the steering column so it doesn't break.
I'm sure others will chime in with more and their experiences.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 15, 9:08 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage
Re: Tach and Gauge Conversion 69 Chevelle

I don't know what's in the conversion kit but the underhood engine harness will either need supplemental wires or to be changed, principally for the tachometer and ammeter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 15, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Like Joe said: You're looking at a noob nightmare if you've never had a '69 Chevelle dash apart. Allow yourself 3 days (8 hour shifts) to remove the Driver's Seat, drop the Steering Column, etc., etc., etc., etc... Including replacing the bulb sockets because the factory sockets come apart and drop the bulbs into less-then-accessible spots in your dash housing as you try to remove them. Do a search of this site BEFORE you lock yourself into this project. The Tach/Gauges were not a part of the SS396 package. The accuracy of the tach sucks, so my advice would be don't even bother with it.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 15, 4:12 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I agree with Bruce. Don't think I would convert over to the tach and gauges for a 69 anyway. The oil pressure and water temp gauges suck and in my opinion the tach is too small. I wasn't aware of the accuracy issues. Better of with after market gauges and tach. There is a reason for a low percentage of 69s chose that option/upgrade from the factory.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 15, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Richard

I think I will just install an after market tach for now. Thanks for all the feedback.

1969 Chevelle, Malibu, Convertible, Glacier Blue, 350ci #'s matching
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 15, 7:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Max

Tach and Gauge Conversion 69 Chevelle

Is there a reason why the factory tach or the add on factory tach are inaccurate? Even with the MSD that sends the signal?

I'm asking because I am in the process of adding the tach side to my 69 dash. If it's a nightmare or is wildly inaccurate then I may just go a different route (new mechanical auto meter gauges or electrical ones).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 Chevelle SS (street car)
496BBC - 10.5:1 Pump Gas
LGT700
665HP/658TQ
| Jensen's Engine Tech | SilverSport Transmissions |
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 15, 2:47 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

I converted my '69 a few years ago and TBH it wasn't all that bad.
My car also currently has an MSD box. Even after having the stock tach converted to HEI it will not accurately read the signal being sent from the MSD box. I even installed the MSD tach filter and it was still off. My tach is about a 1000 RPM high at cruise.
To that end, the MSD boxing is coming out this winter and I will install a new engine harness and wire it up as a stock configuration so my tach will finally function properly.

Chuck Frame

Proud Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Chevelle #664

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 15, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Max

Interesting...and dang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 Chevelle SS (street car)
496BBC - 10.5:1 Pump Gas
LGT700
665HP/658TQ
| Jensen's Engine Tech | SilverSport Transmissions |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1361 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.