65 Chevelle Wiper motor? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 15, 3:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

65 Chevelle Wiper motor?

I just want to buy a single speed non reservoir wiper motor. This is the one that came on the car, but I am not sure which one I need to get as it's replacement.

I won't be driving in the rain, and just am looking for a direct fit one speed motor. Attached is a picture of the old wiper motor and then the cavity once it is gone.

Sorry I did not have a better picture of the empty cavity handy. I think it is probably the same as many of the GM A body cars. I really appreciate the help.

65 Chevelle, LQ4 Stroked to 4.1, 4L80E,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 15, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: 65 Chevelle Wiper motor?

My favorite "Yard" looked up applications for my one speed wiper motor in Hollanders Exchange Book. IIRC, mine came from a '63 Nova. You'll need someone to check all the possible applications. I also found that the arm and drive rods that actuate the wipers are one and two speed motor specific....

Steve O.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 2:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

the Chevelle parts places, and feebay, has them. You will have a wire (for the washer) left over since you're wanting the motor only. they sell them with and without washer/pump and will be direct fit. like Steve said stay away from the two speeds.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

So is the one that is pictured a one or two speed? Does it matter if I use a one speed if it is actually originally a two speed, in regards to function?

I just want the wipers to move and function for inspection purposes.

65 Chevelle, LQ4 Stroked to 4.1, 4L80E,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 12:14 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

What you have there is a one-speed motor. The two-speed motors look completely different. You CANNOT swap a one-speed for a two-speed without also swapping the transmission arms in the cowl as they are specific to the motor used. Also, the two-speed motor uses an offset mounting plate (thus the need for a different transmission assembly) and of course a different switch on the dash. Make sure you have a one-speed switch. It should have only and ON and OFF setting while the two-speed switch has three settings, ON, LOW, HIGH. The two-speed also requires an additional wiring harness.

BUT, what you have is a one-speed so just buy a one-speed motors and remove and replace and you should be good to go.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 12:17 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

This is what the two-speed motor looks like, you can also see the offset mounting plate here. These are really hard to find but that shouldn't matter in this case.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Hey Rich, I have the two speed version that looks more like the one speed version in the first post.

Apparently there are three different versions of wiper motors for the 65.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 12:34 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Sounds like maybe you have a 67 motor like the two speed one on my friend's 67 Malibu Rob???

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Sounds like maybe you have a 67 motor like the two speed one on my friend's 67 Malibu Rob???
It's all original so I don't see how that can be.

It looks very similar to the Op's but the outlets on the pump come off at a 90 degree angle rather than straight down and it has another electrical connection along the left side of the motor. The switch is also a two speed switch and everything still works perfectly.

OPG sells both the single speed motor and the two speed motor for the 65 but doesn't appear to show one like Rich is using although I have seen those on other 65's. https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1965/w.../wiper-motors/

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 1:33 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
It's all original so I don't see how that can be.
Well, I know that you and Rich certainly know a lot more about 65's than I do.

All I know is that I know of a two speed motor like that on a 67.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 2:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

My 64 also has a 2speed like that that is original to the car, I have owned two canadian built 64's and both was two speed and had wiper motors like that. The Us built I have owned had the style that Rich showed. Maybe the place it was assembled at has something to do with it? Some plants used that motor and some other the other version? I have seen the square 2 speed version on several 64-65 chevelles and all had washers.
Was it possible to have washers with one speed wiper motors

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

Last edited by Malibu ss 64; Nov 6th, 15 at 2:56 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 3:43 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

On my '67...two-speed I believe. Is it possible to do away with the washer portion on one of these?

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
On my '67...two-speed I believe. Is it possible to do away with the washer portion on one of these?

Yes you can remove the washer part but the washer drive gear will be vissible.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 6:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Looks like the 67's used the same two speed version as the 65's so you were correct about that Dean.

For the Op's question, the link I posted for OPG has both the two speed and the single speed wiper motors. https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1965/w.../wiper-motors/

My build thread>
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks guys I just purchased this one from Rock Auto

WPM119 part number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1408 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.