65 Chevelle Wiper motor? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 15, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Re: 65 Chevelle Wiper motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
If you look at the pic of the fellow from Sweden's car, it has a Canadian trim tag. All the other posters who said they have square 2-speeds are Canadian cars. Yours is the only one that is US and has a square 2-speed.

The fact that your car is a post car (300 or 300-Deluxe) means that it would have come standard with a 1-speed wiper motor. A 2-speed wiper motor (with the switch and wiring) could have been dealer installed, or installed by the owner later. Or if it came from the factory with a 2-speed wiper then the car was ordered new with the comfort and convenience group option, which would have also included an outside door mirror and a day-night inside mirror and a Optikleen glass washer fluid bottle in a bracket attached to the inner fender. Did your car have those originally too?

As to the wiring and the switch, you are making a lot more of that than it is. What you need to realize is that ALL 64-66 Chevelle firewall wiring harnesses were set up for 1-speed wipers only, and ANY car that got a 2-speed wiper (whether factory or dealer installed) had a separate jumper harness that had to be added to operate that and the washer unit. The hole in the firewall was already there on ALL cars, and all the dealer had to do was pop the plastic plug out of the hole and run the jumper wire through that hole, and change the wiper switch. It is about a 20 minute job (if that much) with the right tools.

To prove the point, there was a dealer accessory kit to install 2-speed wipers with a washer on a factory 1-speed car, which included the motor and ALL those peripheral parts (including the switch and wiring). So there is absolutely no reason that the presence of a 2-speed switch and wiring on your car means that those parts had to be factory installed.

Lastly, if your car is very original there should be an ink stamped date code on the square part of your wiper motor. What is it? There will also be numbers stamped into the plate on the forward end of your wiper motor that identify the motor and its application. What are those numbers? I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum that the numbers will show that your car has a replacement motor, or a 66-67 motor. Either way, if it is a square 2-speed motor then it is NOT factory installed motor if your car is a US built 1965 Chevelle. Period.
No day night rear view, I have the original. I do have the single mirror on the drivers side door but I think those were standard. It does have a padded dash. Any date code on the wiper motor was painted over. No bottle on the drivers side fender well so I'm guessing no dealer options were installed on this car being a base model 300 non deluxe.

This is an original California car because I found gas receipts going way back so I can't imagine why anyone would need to install an upgraded 2 speed motor when it hardly ever rains here.

I'm finding it hard to believe that anyone would go to the trouble of installing a two speed motor, plus the two speed switch and having to install basically an extra ground wire for the second speed to function on a base model car that nobody cared about.

Who ever owned my car originally never even changed the oil from what I could tell because the original engine was full of goo and carbon from the lack of maintenance.

I'd be willing to bet there are other USA built 65 300 sedans with the same two speed wiper installed. Maybe someone with a 65 base Chevelle 300 sedan will chime in here so we can figure this out.

Thanks for clarifying what the options were supposed to be Jeff.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 65chevelle300post; Dec 25th, 15 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 16, 2:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I got the chance to take a look at my wiper motor today that I got from Rock Auto WPM119. It has three mounting holes and only one has a rubber grommet in the mount. It looks like from the other pictures online they are all like this. So when I go to install the motor I have a gap between the motor and the firewall.

Is there a gasket that I am missing or what else do I need to get this installed? The motor bracket looks like it will match up perfectly to the wiper drives, just need to figure out what to do about this 3/16" gap.

65 Chevelle, LQ4 Stroked to 4.1, 4L80E,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 16, 3:01 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Don't know if this is of any help Mike, but here is the one off my '67 El Camino. There is also a rubber doughnut that goes behind.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 16, 3:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue65 View Post
I got the chance to take a look at my wiper motor today that I got from Rock Auto WPM119. It has three mounting holes and only one has a rubber grommet in the mount. It looks like from the other pictures online they are all like this. So when I go to install the motor I have a gap between the motor and the firewall.

Is there a gasket that I am missing or what else do I need to get this installed? The motor bracket looks like it will match up perfectly to the wiper drives, just need to figure out what to do about this 3/16" gap.
You need this part to fix the gap. You need this part for the new grommets and screws.

OPG sells them.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1351 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.