65 Chevelle Wiper motor? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 10:01 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: 65 Chevelle Wiper motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
Looks like the 67's used the same two speed version as the 65's so you were correct about that Dean.

For the Op's question, the link I posted for OPG has both the two speed and the single speed wiper motors. https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1965/w.../wiper-motors/
OPG lists that two-speed motor for 1966-1967 only. Not saying it won't fit a 65, but it is not listed as correct for a 65.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Not sure what you are looking at Rich but it's right there under 65' for me and my 65 was completely original when I bought it so it has to be correct.

The one I can't find is the type you are using which uses the different linkage.

Maybe it's just a post car deal.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>

Last edited by 65chevelle300post; Nov 7th, 15 at 10:49 AM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Could you get washers with one speed? My 64 has same kind engine as op has pictured and I know is it i ntouched its a 2dr/ht SS two speed and washers I have also owned a one owner 4 dr post 64 and it had same motor two speed and washers so dont think it has anything to do with body styles? A friend has a 65 SS with same square motor two speed and washer also never anything changed intill he rebuilt the car and I have seen more examples. All the three has in common is that all three is built in canada.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

The one speeds had pumps on them if that is what you mean, but the outlet for the hoses are pointing straight down instead of at 90 degrees like the two speed version.

You can see on the OPG page that they sell the rebuild kit for both washer versions.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 7:03 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Not sure what you are looking at Rich but it's right there under 65' for me and my 65 was completely original when I bought it so it has to be correct.

The one I can't find is the type you are using which uses the different linkage.

Maybe it's just a post car deal.

Click the link for the 2-speed motor and then look at the description and select year. Both only list 66 and 67. The round body motors have been unavailable even as a rebuilt for a few decades now.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 7:32 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

And not to belabor the point, but the AIM lists the standard one speed wiper, an optional washer that can be added to the one-speed wiper and the two-speed wiper (which includes a washer). The two-speed wiper install from the AIM:

Personally, for 65s with two-speed wipers the only version I've ever seen are the large round body motors. Is it possible they changed things up during the model year or that a 66/67 motor could be retrofitted to a 65? Probably possible on both counts. The round body motors are notoriously difficult to find for a 65 as are the offset plates and the unique transmission rods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIM2speedwipers.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	309713  

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 15, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Here is my 64 2 speed. It was untouched until I removed the inside of the washer part since its functional wasnt 100% and I has no need for washers. Had exactly same pump on a one owner 4dr post 64 and a friend has same pump on his 65 that also was untouched until he rebuilt the car. So pretty sure not all pre 66 cars had the round version with two speed but a Baltimore built 64 SS i owned had that style.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64

Last edited by Malibu ss 64; Nov 8th, 15 at 11:06 AM.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 15, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Well mine isn't retrofitted except maybe by the factory. You would also have to retrofit the wiring from the switch for the two speed ground and you would also need to retrofit the two speed switch. Being a California car you don't hardly use the wipers let along have a reason to replace the wiper motor.

What's interesting is that they show only one year for my particular two speed switch in my 65, so I guess they used a different switch in later years. Then in 66 they list only the two speed motor and a slightly different version of the two speed switch.

My car was so original that it still had the original oil in the engine which was obviously never changed once in it's lifetime. You should have seen the goo and carbon inside my original 283.

So it seems they did change things up at the factory and I've seen plenty of other 65's and 64's with the same two speed motor complete with the two speed wiring and the two speed switch like mine still has.

I believe the type of motor that Rich has is the rarest yet, hard to find those if not impossible.

My build thread>

Last edited by 65chevelle300post; Nov 8th, 15 at 10:33 AM.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 15, 9:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I just saw this. For US built 64 and 65 Chevelles, 1-speed were the square motors and the 2-speed were the round motors like Rich posted. US built 64 and 65 Chevelles DID NOT GET SQUARE 2-SPEED MOTORS FROM THE FACTORY.

Canadian built cars may have been a different situation, but not US built cars.

If you have a US built 64 or 65 Chevelle with a square 2-speed motor, that motor was either dealer installed, or the motor was changed later.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 15, 2:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
I just saw this. For US built 64 and 65 Chevelles, 1-speed were the square motors and the 2-speed were the round motors like Rich posted. US built 64 and 65 Chevelles DID NOT GET SQUARE 2-SPEED MOTORS FROM THE FACTORY.

Canadian built cars may have been a different situation, but not US built cars.

If you have a US built 64 or 65 Chevelle with a square 2-speed motor, that motor was either dealer installed, or the motor was changed later.
exactly what I thought. Only examples I have seen was on canadian built 64/65's.
I have found they use some different parts vs Us built cars.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 15, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

First it was 64 and 65's were never built with the square 2 speed motor's period. The USA or Canada deal never entered the conversion, that myth has been dispelled beyond any shadow of a doubt.

The VIN on my 65 says Chevrolet DD no Canada anything. And there is no way on earth the dealer or anyone else added a two speed motor + wiring harness "which would be different" not to mention the two speed switch which I have the original still working. My car is a base model post car POS and there is zero chance than anyone added anything to it and there were no splices in the wiring.

Therefore I'd have to conclude that at some point the square motor 2 speeds were used in USA built cars, or at least the post cars. I'd be willing to bet there are other USA built post cars with the square motor 2 speed.

I think it's interesting that the supposedly more common two speed round motor's aren't even being sold by any of the restoration shops, yet the square motors are a dime a dozen. Pretty much defies explanation.

My build thread>

Last edited by 65chevelle300post; Dec 23rd, 15 at 11:16 AM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 15, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

After reading all this I a am still a little confused on the transmission rods. I have the round motor 2-speed but I do not have the transmission rods. Would the transmission rod assembly shown in the OPGI catalogue (PN C240574) for a 2-speed 64-65 work for both the round and square motor 2-speeds?
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 15, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale H View Post
After reading all this I a am still a little confused on the transmission rods. I have the round motor 2-speed but I do not have the transmission rods. Would the transmission rod assembly shown in the OPGI catalogue (PN C240574) for a 2-speed 64-65 work for both the round and square motor 2-speeds?
It says that the linkage is for the 2 speed motor only which would narrow it to the 2 speed round motor because the linkage for the 1 and 2 speed square motor are the same.

I can also tell you that the one OPG has is different than one I have for my square motor version.

What is confusing is that they don't even sell the 2 speed round motor yet the only linkage they have is apparently for the 2 speed round motor.

My build thread>

Last edited by 65chevelle300post; Dec 23rd, 15 at 11:15 AM.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 15, 7:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
First it was 64 and 65's were never built with the square 2 speed motor's period. The USA or Canada deal never entered the conversion, that myth has been dispelled beyond any shadow of a doubt.

The VIN on my 65 says Chevrolet DD no Canada anything. And there is no way on earth the dealer or anyone else added a two speed motor + wiring harness "which would be different" not to mention the two speed switch which I have the original still working. My car is a base model post car POS and there is zero chance than anyone added anything to it and there were no splices in the wiring.

Therefore I'd have to conclude that at some point the square motor 2 speeds were used in USA built cars, or at least the post cars. I'd be willing to bet there are other USA built post cars with the square motor 2 speed.

I think it's interesting that the supposedly more common two speed round motor's aren't even being sold by any of the restoration shops, yet the square motors are a dime a dozen. Pretty much defies explanation.
If you look at the pic of the fellow from Sweden's car, it has a Canadian trim tag. All the other posters who said they have square 2-speeds are Canadian cars. Yours is the only one that is US and has a square 2-speed.

The fact that your car is a post car (300 or 300-Deluxe) means that it would have come standard with a 1-speed wiper motor. A 2-speed wiper motor (with the switch and wiring) could have been dealer installed, or installed by the owner later. Or if it came from the factory with a 2-speed wiper then the car was ordered new with the comfort and convenience group option, which would have also included an outside door mirror and a day-night inside mirror and a Optikleen glass washer fluid bottle in a bracket attached to the inner fender. Did your car have those originally too?

As to the wiring and the switch, you are making a lot more of that than it is. What you need to realize is that ALL 64-66 Chevelle firewall wiring harnesses were set up for 1-speed wipers only, and ANY car that got a 2-speed wiper (whether factory or dealer installed) had a separate jumper harness that had to be added to operate that and the washer unit. The hole in the firewall was already there on ALL cars, and all the dealer had to do was pop the plastic plug out of the hole and run the jumper wire through that hole, and change the wiper switch. It is about a 20 minute job (if that much) with the right tools.

To prove the point, there was a dealer accessory kit to install 2-speed wipers with a washer on a factory 1-speed car, which included the motor and ALL those peripheral parts (including the switch and wiring). So there is absolutely no reason that the presence of a 2-speed switch and wiring on your car means that those parts had to be factory installed.

Lastly, if your car is very original there should be an ink stamped date code on the square part of your wiper motor. What is it? There will also be numbers stamped into the plate on the forward end of your wiper motor that identify the motor and its application. What are those numbers? I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum that the numbers will show that your car has a replacement motor, or a 66-67 motor. Either way, if it is a square 2-speed motor then it is NOT factory installed motor if your car is a US built 1965 Chevelle. Period.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 15, 3:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Jeff:I found this very interesting so please share your thoughts! Checked the yellow stamp on the motor and it says 29 5-64 but it could also be 8-64 stamp is hard to read. My car was assembled june 30 and was built for export first registred in Sweden late december 64. So if 5-64 is correct it seems to be in order but if 8-64 two speed was added later but my car came with inside day light mirror, outside mirror and the glass bottle with the bracket. Was the comfort group option on the trim tag?

On the picture it looks alot more like 8-64 but in person I say alot more like 5-64.

Side of motor says Rochester N.Y USA
Upper line is harder to read? But starts Del so guess Delco.

So either it came with two speed from factory (5-64)or it was something installed before shipped to Sweden (8-64)since all 64's exported to Sweden new had two speed washer and wipers. I have all paperwork and receipts since it arrived here. There was some options all cars exported and sold new in Sweden had like padded dash, 67- all had disc brakes for example.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64

Last edited by Malibu ss 64; Dec 25th, 15 at 7:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1356 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.