Radio noise please help! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Matt

Radio noise please help!

Hey I installed a retrosound deck in my 66. And it works great until the car is running. But it acts like it skips almost? It doesn't change with rpm, I've tried different ground locations. In hooked my afr gauge, changed power locations. Nothing seems to change. Any help would be incredibly great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 1:03 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Radio noise please help!

Sounds like you need to try a different radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 2:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexrig1 View Post
Hey I installed a retrosound deck in my 66. And it works great until the car is running. But it acts like it skips almost? It doesn't change with rpm, I've tried different ground locations. In hooked my afr gauge, changed power locations. Nothing seems to change. Any help would be incredibly great!
Do you have any ground straps installed, valve covers to chassis etc.?

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 2:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

When the car is not running the voltage may be right but then once it is running and the alternator is putting out, maybe the voltage is now too high. The high voltage might not always be present so hook up a meter with a peak hold feature to catch the spike if there is one. I had this happen on a customer's car and the display never went off or changed but the audio would cut out. Once he replaced the alternators voltage regulator, all was good.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Matt

I actually disconnected the alternator and ran the car and it still did it
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Maybe try getting it down to the basic connections with it not mounted in the dash and the antenna disconnected. Basically just your power and ground connections and the radio chassis not touching anything like metal on the car.

If it still does it, try it on a different vehicle. If it does it on another vehicle, then the radio is suspect.

Could the radio be close to something that is being picked up through the air and inducing the noise into it ?.

Is there maybe some aftermarket piece in the car that is inducing a noise on the power or ground side of the car ?.

Possibly does the radio have a poor design to where it needs power line filtering ?.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 8:57 PM
Gold Member
Joe

While I don't know the specifics of your issue,

It may be worthwhile to read both pages of this thread:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356986

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1631 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.