New member. Wiring question - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Mark

New member. Wiring question

Hey all. Finally registered. Have used this forum quite a bit and have found it quite helpful. I am at a loss on this question though.

I bought a 70 SS back in June. Not a matching number in the car. I replaced a th400 with a tremec tko600. Added vintage air. Replaced the engine harness. Bought an aftermarket instrument cluster with gauges. Buttoned it up and and found my temp gauge and ammeter not working. Did some homework and learned that the temp sending wire on indicator to gauge conversions are in the front headlight harness. OK cool. Purchased a new harness from American auto wire. Everything fit well except I had to extend the wires for the indicator and running lights on both sides.

Here is my dillemma. First off, I suck at all things electrical. Prior to the new harness I had one heavy gauge wire to the alternator. This came from the new engine harness. The alternator is internally regulated. The new front headlight harness also has 2 alternator leads. One lead is a 2 wire with blades. Plug and play. Then there is another heavy gauge red wire that looks like it is supposed to hook up directly to the main post on the alternator. All of my Google searching only shows 1 wire going to that post. I'm reluctant to just blindly attach this wire for fear of frying something.

Any advice?

By the way, the car runs great and I put in a new 4 core aluminum radiator. I let it idle with the AC on for an hour and jury rigged a thermocouple where the temp sender is. Hottest it got was 170, so I'm not worried about overheating. I just want my gauge to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 12:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: New member. Wiring question

Call American Autowire and ask, good luck.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Mark

I know. They are closed and I am in the process of connecting the harnesses to the firewall bulkhead. Then I'm an hour from firing it up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 6:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

Standard GM alternator configuration is the two blade connector plugged into the reg and the large red lead onto the post on the back of the unit. Many one wire units have the regulator connector plugged and bypass it internally so they don't use the two blade connector at all. Other one wire conversions route one of the two wires going into the regulator back onto the post on the rear of the alternator as a jumper. Without knowing your alternator deign I am not sure what to tell ya.

My project pics are here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 15, 9:08 PM
Gold Founding Member

Was the engine harness a stock replacement or the update kit? The update car harness I just replaced, has an extra 12 ga wire as the battery source for an electric fan.

Rick

ACES #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #0038
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 15, 4:36 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

ever nptice we have different sections for different types of questions?

Moving to Electrical.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 15, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
ever nptice we have different sections for different types of questions?

Moving to Electrical.
Thanks for your diplomatic response to our new member.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1721 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.