CS130 Alternator issues and Windstar fans. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 1:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Re: CS130 Alternator issues and Windstar fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
Do you have a part # for that PWM controller?
I suggest

http://www.autocoolguy.com/

The AutocoolIII

Others are made by Derale,

Don't buy the lower cost derales...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNntpbyVwcA

Painless,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pr...FVFefgodQUgKRA

Hayden makes one but it uses quick connects. Some years back Flexalite made a unit with quick connects and had all sorts of issues with the connections, mostly due to crimping issues on the uses part. If you can crimp well it might be useful.
http://www.haydenauto.com/Featured%20Products-

There some SPAL units floating around out there:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage...FQaVfgodHkYNYw

I have used the SPAL and it works well if used exactly in the right way. They don't make it anymore as I understand it though. There were issues.

And then there is "delta control" from Delta Control

http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm

Never used one so I don't know.

Two big things though, mount the controller well away form heat, like under the fender. Don't put it on the fan shroud or in the open engine compartment. They don't like heat.

Second thing, use a sensor that senses the cooling fluid temperature. It just works way better than probes attached to radiators.

Here is a good read...

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/MarkVIII.html

My car is here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bikeron; Sep 4th, 15 at 1:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 9:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Do you have a part # for that PWM controller? That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I've had a few GM trucks with the CS alternators stock and both went over 250,000 miles with no alternator issues before I sold them. The one in my car is out of a 1991. Are there certain years that are better?

I ordered a smaller crank pulley, should be here next week. According to my math it will slow everything down to the same speed as a stock 91 truck would see a idle and will limit my alternator rpm to below 18,000 at WOT. Hopefully that will solve my problem.
Got my fan controller here http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_te...ontrollers.htm
Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 15, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll look into those controllers.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 15, 1:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
The 6500 rpm is the problem when you multiply that by the pulley ratios. At 6500 engine rpm, the alternator is spinning 24,500 rpm. Way above the max 18,000 that the alternator is designed for. And even if the alternator is bad, it certainly won't hurt to slow it down to where it's supposed to operate. I'll try the pulley first and then get the alternator tested if I'm still having problems.
I don't believe that just 1000 RPM is causing these problems. There is no mention of RPM limitations on the link I posted earlier that sells these higher quality CS-130's.

There are alternatives to the CS-130 and better quality units at the link I posted earlier.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 15, 6:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
I don't believe that just 1000 RPM is causing these problems. There is no mention of RPM limitations on the link I posted earlier that sells these higher quality CS-130's.

There are alternatives to the CS-130 and better quality units at the link I posted earlier.
I've read on some other forums and guys have had the same issues with the stock CS130 and high RPM. Crank pulley is ordered and will be here after the long weekend. I'll try the pulley first and see what happens. The better alternators might not have the same problem, but I'll try one thing at a time. I checked the math on my old V-belt setup and it was turning everything quite a bit slower.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 15, 6:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
I've read on some other forums and guys have had the same issues with the stock CS130 and high RPM. Crank pulley is ordered and will be here after the long weekend. I'll try the pulley first and see what happens. The better alternators might not have the same problem, but I'll try one thing at a time. I checked the math on my old V-belt setup and it was turning everything quite a bit slower.
Yes the stock ones had quite a few problems with reliability and I'm sure this RPM related problem is one of them which is most likely related to heat issues which the CS-130 is famous for. All of these problems are addressed with the higher quality versions at the link I posted from Quick Start. http://alternatorparts.com/cs130-alternator.html

The larger pulley is really just going to mask the original problem of reliability and heat issues with the factory original versions.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 1:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevelle300post View Post
Yes the stock ones had quite a few problems with reliability and I'm sure this RPM related problem is one of them which is most likely related to heat issues which the CS-130 is famous for. All of these problems are addressed with the higher quality versions at the link I posted from Quick Start. http://alternatorparts.com/cs130-alternator.html

The larger pulley is really just going to mask the original problem of reliability and heat issues with the factory original versions.
Links to a lot of good videos on that site. Good post, thanks.

My car is here:

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Timely post, I'm losing voltage myself at over ~5500. Voltage dropping to ~11.9 and then comes back to 13.8 once the rpms dip back to 3500 rpm. I just replaced the alternator to see what happens.

I was looking into something like this that Corvettes run. They either partially or totally disengage at some predetermined - maybe somebody can explain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Goodyear...388439&vxp=mtr

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 15, 3:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I ordered a pulley set from BBK, should be here in a few weeks. The March pulley I tried last week didn't fit. It was about 9/16" too deep to line up with my other pulleys. I did some more testing, I definitely think the charging issues are Rpm related. It starts cutting out at exactly 4500 and cuts back in when rpm drops below 4500. Tried a known good spare alternator and it did exactly the same thing. So hopefully the under drive pulleys will cure the problem.

Looked into the fan controllers as well. The only one I can get locally is one from Painless Wiring. $360 Cdn for the kit. This one starts the fans at %50 and then goes to 100%. Problem is they don't sell the controller separate, only the complete kit that I already have most of. This might be something I just live with until I can head to the U.S. To buy a controller.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 15, 3:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Timely post, I'm losing voltage myself at over ~5500. Voltage dropping to ~11.9 and then comes back to 13.8 once the rpms dip back to 3500 rpm. I just replaced the alternator to see what happens.

I was looking into something like this that Corvettes run. They either partially or totally disengage at some predetermined - maybe somebody can explain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Goodyear...388439&vxp=mtr
I looked at those pulleys too, from what I see, it looks like they just freewheel on deceleration to reduce load. I don't think they limit the alternator rpm in any way.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1627 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.