1968 El Co Ignition/Power Issue - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Gilbertt

1968 El Co Ignition/Power Issue

Hi Guys, i'm new to this group of El Co's. I just picked up a '68 SS Clone, 396 4 spd car.

Car was not running when I went to see it. Previous owner thinks there is an ignition switch problem. So I got the car to turn over with a remote starter.

With my test light there is a real weak light at the fuse box. When I turn the key to start it, there is no power at the fuse box. When I turn on the Hazard flasher switch, there is no power at the fuse box either. This leads me to believe this is not specifically an ignition switch issue.

Now, there is only 1 ground strap that I can see from the body to the block and I don't see one from the frame to the body.

Can this be causing the loss of voltage to the fuse box? Or is it that there may be a short somewhere? I'll start with the ground strap but any other suggestions would be great! thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 1:48 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Re: 1968 El Co Ignition/Power Issue

Check your inline fusible links. One is next to horn relay and another is next to battery.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car
"Another One Back On Jack Stands"

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

The internet is like the Bugs Bunny Show "AAH Could Be"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
Gilbertt

Will do thank you Modchevelle!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 4:30 PM Thread Starter
Gilbertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
Check your inline fusible links. One is next to horn relay and another is next to battery.

One question, if the fusible links were bad or blown, I wouldn't have power to the fuse box correct?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 4:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Sounds like bad connections at the bulkhead connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 7:39 PM Thread Starter
Gilbertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Sounds like bad connections at the bulkhead connector.
At the fusebox? Or the bulkhead from the fusebox? or am I way off?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 8:06 PM
Tech Team
David

Check both sides. I rewired my 68 and none of the engine lights and other front electric worked. It was a loose bulkhead in engine bay which I believe is connected by two bolts.

Check the fuse box also which is connected by two screws. Good luck.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 10:20 PM
Team Member
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGee View Post
One question, if the fusible links were bad or blown, I wouldn't have power to the fuse box correct?
I had a wiring harness that had a fusible link hanging on by a strand or two next to the horn relay. Electrical problems suck..I know I've been working on mine for days.

68 SS427 Chevelle
5.3 LS 84mm Billet Turbo

55 Chevy Field car
"Another One Back On Jack Stands"

But you'll appreciate me soon. You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'.

The internet is like the Bugs Bunny Show "AAH Could Be"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 15, 12:07 AM
Tech Team
Brent

Electrical problems are easier solved with a wiring diagram. At least you can trace the particular circuit, and using a voltmeter, find the problem. Maybe you can find one online, I don't know. Sounds like your dealing with a poor connection, broken wire, something of that nature.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 7:19 PM Thread Starter
Gilbertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnrice View Post
Check both sides. I rewired my 68 and none of the engine lights and other front electric worked. It was a loose bulkhead in engine bay which I believe is connected by two bolts.

Check the fuse box also which is connected by two screws. Good luck.
Thanks Dnrice, I will try this, seems to be a popular choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
I had a wiring harness that had a fusible link hanging on by a strand or two next to the horn relay. Electrical problems suck..I know I've been working on mine for days.
Thanks modchevell, I will look at this first, probably then head to the bulkhead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie chevelle guy View Post
Electrical problems are easier solved with a wiring diagram. At least you can trace the particular circuit, and using a voltmeter, find the problem. Maybe you can find one online, I don't know. Sounds like your dealing with a poor connection, broken wire, something of that nature.
Thank you Rookie chevelle, good possibility, it definitely seems a novice wirer has been under the hood and under the dash.

Just strange to me that not only does power stop when turning the key, it also stops when i put hazard switch on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1566 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.