What was that smell? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

What was that smell?

Picked up my Elky after paint last weekend. Gas gauge worked on the way the but not afterwards. Bumper had been off so I figured no big deal to see what's not connected back there. About 15 miles down the road I smell a burnt something smell. Not from the engine bay or in the cab but somwhere. GF was following behind and said she smelled it also. Got home, tried all the lites...everything works...headlite/tailite/side markers/brakes/signals. looked under the hood, nothing amiss. Crawled under the back and redid gas tank ground, rest of the wiring from the tank to harness looked ok, pulled tail lite lense on drivers side...looked ok inside. Looked under inside of the qtr below the fill tube and looks like an overfill dissolved/ate thru the whatever kind of spray the PO added up there. It wasn't like that before and I don't recall ever overfilling. Rubbed the area and it was dry and brown "dust" came off on my fingers. Hmmmm....never seen this before. Have attached a pic but never know if these will work or not. Any thoughts or ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1028.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	193554  

Paul J
'69 El Camino SS
396 CI,Hooker Super Comps
TH400, HEI, Performer Intake, 750 cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 11:53 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: What was that smell?

To me the pic looks like the result of an overfill at some point. If I had to guess about the smell you experienced on the way home I would say it was something that was oversprayed or accidently found its way onto the exhaust system and when that got hot enough it burned off. However it could have been many things. A locked up brake would have a different smell than an electrical burn and a different smell than a chemical burn. You don't say if your gas gauge is now working after a reground? Aside from that if all electrical and mechanical systems (no leaks) are working I wouldn't be too concerned. If the smell reoccurs then a further investigation may be needed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
to me the pic looks like the result of an overfill at some point. If i had to guess about the smell you experienced on the way home i would say it was something that was oversprayed or accidently found its way onto the exhaust system and when that got hot enough it burned off. However it could have been many things. A locked up brake would have a different smell than an electrical burn and a different smell than a chemical burn. You don't say if your gas gauge is now working after a reground? Aside from that if all electrical and mechanical systems (no leaks) are working i wouldn't be too concerned. If the smell reoccurs then a further investigation may be needed.
x2

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

gauge still isn't working after regrounding. plan to look under the dash after lunch. never thought about an overspray burning off. ill look for evidence of spray on underside near exhaust.

Paul J
'69 El Camino SS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 8:28 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Paul,

You need to do the 'ole ground/unground trick to test the integrity of the sender wiring, the dash wiring and ultimately the gauge before you worry about focusing in on one area.

That will tell you where you are at.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 5:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Thanks Joe, plan to give that try.

Paul J
'69 El Camino SS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I would try unhooking the gas tank sender wire where it joins to the harness and check both ends for any damage. It could have even pulled apart inside the connector from being so old when it was disconnected and you wouldn't even see it when it was back together.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 6:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

thanks hank, will include that on the list. something like that occurred to me to since the bumper was off for paint work.

Paul J
'69 El Camino SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2048 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.