few electrical issues - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 1:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

few electrical issues

so i am trying to track down a few electrical problems in my 1970 chevelle. I had a lifter fail (just the spring portion) and since the cam lobe and bottom of the lifter were in good shape i figure i would give it a shot and replace that one only. During breakin of the new lifter, the car was running a little rough (could have been the timing) but when i shut if off about 10 min in i could not get it restarted, the battery was almost dead. Now prior to starting, the battery was fully charged and unhooked (also brand new, maybe 4 months old). I took the alternator into autozone and it passed. The guy there suggested a bad ground but i was thinking voltage regulator. It worked fine before i took the intake off to replace the lifter. I didn't even touch any wires except for the choke and distributor so i know everything is hooked up right. Any thoughts if it was a ground where to look or is it fairly common to fry the voltage regulator (it looks pretty old)?

Another issue i have going on right now as well is the turn signals and brakes:
car off, brake lights work fine.
car is running, push the brake turn signals light up in car and the drivers side parking light in the front comes on really bright, brake lights come on normal in the back. I pulled that bulb since it is the only one i added (missing when i bought the car) but still have the issue. I did not modify any wiring when i painted the car, everything is like it was before and it worked before. Additionally, flashers and turns signals do not work (indicated or external). Again i was thinking maybe it is a bad ground or something causing feedback into the system or a bad turn signal switch?? thoughts?

thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 8:47 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: few electrical issues

After the car cooled down. Maybe 45 min or an hour later did it start up just fine?
The turn signal and hazard problem. I would check the flasher unit. Normally I would say just swap them as I think they are identical but because both are not working I would replace one and see if that system starts working.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 9:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It did not start up when it cooled down. I threw a batter charger on there and it took over an hour to fully charge.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Sounds like a bad ground at the very least for the light problems, will need to fix that first, then may have more problems. As far as the alternator, is this an all original car that needs to keep the separate alternator and regulator? If not, I'd suggest updating to a later internal regulator alternator, more reliable and puts out more amps.
Good luck, Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 11:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I think Jim is right. I would check the grounds for the turn signals/brake lights. As far as the starting issue and just to be clear. Was it turning over slowly or was it turning over and just not starting? How are your engine and battery grounds?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 2:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

the starting issue - fired up first try, ran for 10min and i shut it off, tried to restart and it was struggling to turn over once or twice then i would not go any more, battery charger sat there for almost and hour at full power to charge the thing. Engine and engine bay were painted a few months ago but i have driven the car 50+miles since then with no issues. This just started when i replaced a lifter and the car sat for 2 weeks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 3:43 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

First I don't believe the changing of the lifter has anything to do with the starting problem. You said your engine and engine bay were recently painted. Did the grounds get hooked back up and are they making good contact. On my engine I have the heavy cable running from the battery to the head and in the rear I have a ground running from the head to the firewall. I also have a ground running from the negative terminal to the fender. Under each of the metal fitting at the end of the ground wires I have one of the spiked washers so the cable connection digs into the metal and makes good contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2054 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.