New radio wierdness - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 14, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Send a message via AIM to 383chebby
New radio wierdness

Hi all,

Was hoping to get a little input on an issue I'm having. I have a 69 Chevelle..388 sbc, th350, 12 bolt etc etc...bought new pioneer 6x9s and 4x6s, and a Ken Harrison radio. Radio has presets, RCA outputs 300 watts etc..here's the problem.

Hooked it all up per directions. 12v constant, 12v switched, and good chassis ground. Unit sounds killer until I start the car, then it cuts out completely, then starts making some nasty loud static type noises..hard to describe...its not like when you get alternator feedback noise..its very erratic and nasty sounding..

Talked to Ken Harrison and he seemed to think it had something to do with my HEI dizzy causing interference, and recommended I get 12V sources from somewhere besides the fuse block.....haven't tried anything yet as I've been busy...but was wondering if anyone else had this kind of problem, and if so how did you solve it?

Thank you!!

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 14, 5:34 PM
Tech Team
Les

Garage
Re: New radio wierdness

I'd run a temporary wire directly from the battery to test it.
Then start the car. If the HEI is the culprit, then find another hot source.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 14, 7:56 PM
Gold Member
Joe

The above is a good starting point. A voltage drop maybe occurring and the radio "cuts out" intermittently.

Radio "goofy-ness" can be caused by power supply issues or RFI (noise sent thru the air radiated from ignition components and electronics or a combination of both.

Unfortunately Ken Harrison and Custom Auto Sounds rank at the bottom of the barrel as far as quality and reliability goes. Try the power trick first and let us know how it comes out.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 16, 7:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
KEVIN

Any luck resolving this? I have a Ken Harrison that just started this issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 16, 7:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I have had the same issues with a few repo radios, ignition noise.. I've given up on them and just use the stock Delco AM with either the Redi Rad or I solder an input into the volume control.. The stock Delco sounds excellent with the correct 8-10 ohm speakers, turnswitch sells new ones.. The quality of the old Delco is light years better than these repos..

https://rediscoveradio.com/

AUX input jack for 67-72 AM radio - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Classic Car Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1508 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.