"Stealth" stereo build - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 8:02 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Re: "Stealth" stereo build

OK - got to spend some time on this on Saturday - Ran the speaker wires down the wire channel under the driver side door plate - I didn't remove the kick panels because after reading the PIA it is on this site I decided it was much easier to just slide the wires underneath between the carpet and the kick panel.

Going to use the original stereo wiring for my power leads to the trunk and that project is for next weekend. Also took care of the glove box light while I was in there

Got the backseat removed and thanks to everyone on this site for all the info on how to get this done No build sheet but I didn't expect to find one but I did find the original seat belts under the back seat - score

The other issue I have now is that it appears that whoever did the restoration tucked the sides of the package tray under the headliner - I'm not too worried about beating up the package tray as I am going to replace it anyway but I am worried about screwing up the headliner.

Got the JL TR690's ordered as well as some baffles and spacers - the original sheet metal is still in tact in the 6x9 openings and I am not about to cut anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 9:16 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

We put some time in today and stopped just shy of turning the power on as I want to go through and verify all the wiring first so I don't fry anything

OK - so here is what the speakers looked like under mount without trimming any sheet metal out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140809_120959.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	191906

Here is the IR-X repeater mounted above the glove box

Name:	20140809_090750.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	191914

Here is the input side of the repeater tucked away in the ashtray

Name:	20140809_090918.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	191922

Fuse for the 12v constant power - extra long lead to work with if it does blow tucked up under the rear seat.

Name:	20140809_090949.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	191930

Covered all the wiring in the plastic shield stuff - just need ton be careful putting the back seat in not mash down on any wiring

Name:	20140809_091001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	191938
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 9:26 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Wiring arrangement on the back of the head unit - used a terminal strip to keep it clean and organized...

Name:	20140809_152817.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	191946

Head unit on plate with amp mounted below...

Name:	20140809_152842.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	191954

Ordering sub woofer tonight - ordered the new package tray a few days ago and we will turn the juice on tomorrow morning after verifying everything Time for a few beers !!! Oh yeah - it was freaking hot out today

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Just about wrapped up the build today with the receipt of the 10" woofer

Name:	20140813_184644.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	193114

Name:	20140813_184729.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	193122

Name:	20140813_184755.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	193130

Notice the little "doohickey" on the front edge of the stereo plate - that is the transmitting end of the IR repeater - it actually works very good.

I was a little worried last night when I was trying to tune without the sub and I wasn't excited about what I heard but the sub makes all the difference - sounds great and very happy

Few more final touches like getting the new package shelf installed but almost ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2053 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.