Need help wiring. Amp guage with a 1 wire alternator - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 1:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richie

Need help wiring. Amp guage with a 1 wire alternator

Im trying to wire up my Amp guage thats in my dash. One wire went to the horn relay and the other to the positive side of the battery. I turn on the lights and it reads a discharge value, But when I start the car it never shows a charge value alwas a discharge. If I shut the lights off the guage almost goes to 0. I use a 1 wire generator straight to the battery terminal. Just for testing we pulled up another chevelle with the 3 wire alternator. I ran my wires over to his car. I wired it the same way and it worked fine. Showing charge and discharge value. So How do I modify my installation to my system so it can show charge and discharge value?
Rich NYC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 1:38 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

Re: Need help wiring. Amp guage with a 1 wire alternator

Perhaps the culprit is the one wire alternator. It's been a while since I did the complete re-wire of my 64, but I recall quite a few threads discussing the merits/disadvantages of the one-wire set up. Maybe check out those threads to see if it answers your questions. I ended up using a voltmeter and a 3-wire alternator. There is a website called Madelectrical.com that has a ton of great information about Chevy charging systems. That helped me alot. Good luck!

Jerry
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 1:48 PM
Gold Founding Member

Maybe a moderator will move this to the proper forum.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 1:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richie

I searched only under Chevelle Tech. Other than Internet. I further checking as I wait for some ideas.

1971 Chevelle (Heavy Chevy) SS Clone
400 ci small block 6.6/400 Turbo Trans
Dual Quad Edelbrock carb, 373 gears
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 8:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Call MadElectrical. There is more to this than you think. I would put a 3wire back on.
Good luck,
Jon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 8:31 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Why call MAD?

This simply needs to be posted in the correct area (Electrical) and we'll give you all the info you need.....no charge.

Moderator, please lock/move this......

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 11:01 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ROW View Post
Im trying to wire up my Amp guage thats in my dash. One wire went to the horn relay and the other to the positive side of the battery. I turn on the lights and it reads a discharge value, But when I start the car it never shows a charge value alwas a discharge. If I shut the lights off the guage almost goes to 0. I use a 1 wire generator straight to the battery terminal. Just for testing we pulled up another chevelle with the 3 wire alternator. I ran my wires over to his car. I wired it the same way and it worked fine. Showing charge and discharge value. So How do I modify my installation to my system so it can show charge and discharge value?
Rich NYC
The problem is probably not the 1-wire alternator. I'll take it from your post that you are using some type of non-original wiring harness, other wise, you would just have to connect the red wire. The issue is that an aftermarket harness will not work with a stock ammeter, period. The stock harness had a shunt built into it by the way the harness was designed, laid out, and constructed. A non original harness does not route the charging circuit the same way, consequently, the gauge cannot see the draw vs. the charge in a system. Plus, ammeters are a bad choice to monitor your charging system when using a 1 wire or other internally regulated unit. Most of those alternators are 100 amps or more, and the OE's stopped using them and went to a voltmeter for a reason as the alternators began getting more powerful.

Donny
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Why call MAD?

This simply needs to be posted in the correct area (Electrical) and we'll give you all the info you need.....no charge.

Moderator, please lock/move this......
I think that's the whole problem

"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 11:28 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

moved

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

My Shift Works amp gauge did the same thing and I switched the two wires on the back of the gauge and it operated properly.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevello View Post
i think that's the whole problem :d

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 12:26 AM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2ROW View Post
Rich NYC
There's your problem....

The factory ammeter needs the factory designed wiring layout to provide the proper voltage drop.

The original alternator's output wire ran to the junction of battery wires at the horn relay. The relay's buss acted as the main distribution for power.

The ammeter looks at the potential difference (very small voltage) between the horn relay and the junction block behind the battery (which is connected to battery (+) terminal.

By you moving the alternator output right to the battery + lug, you have upset the balance and therefore it will never work as designed.

As a further note , this are used as rough indicators only. It should stay close centered at zero or slight hair into the + zone. Swings into the discharge zone (battery junction higher voltage than horn relay) and swings into the charge zone (horn relay higher voltage than battery junction) indicate problems as there should not be that great of difference between the two points unless there is a problem or the system is being pushed to its design limits.

It's a catch 22 for most. If you want to take advantage of a higher power alternator for more added on goodies, you need to change/bump up wiring gauges, THEN your factory ammeter does not function properly.

As many know, I am not a fan of 1wire alternators. But that's enough typing for tonight.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Still should call MAD they will give a better answer + options for you take.
Jon
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 14, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh View Post
Still should call MAD they will give a better answer + options for you take.
Jon
Joe's (Coppertop) answer above is as good an answer as you could expect to get.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1967 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.