Electric Choke Help! - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 6:00 PM Thread Starter
Tod
Lifetime Premium Member
Tod

Electric Choke Help!

Hey Guys-

I have a new Street Avenger 670 Holley carburator with an electric choke on my '66 Chevelle.

Question:
I want to somehow test my choke before I wire it up permenantly. So I have a positive and negative lead on the choke. Today, I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the electric choke.....Negative lead on choke to negative terminal on battery. On the positive side, I ran a wire from the battery terminal to a 10amp in-line fuse then to the positive lead on the choke.....hoping to "activate" the choke mechanism to be sure it's going to work before I wire it in permenantly to a 12v hot wire (only when the ignition is on, maybe like the wipers).

However, my "test" did not work and the choke never activated or worked.

Can someone help me figure a way to test this choke before I wire it in permenantly? I have to caution all of you, I am not very good at wiring so any pictures would also be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks
Tod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 7:05 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: Electric Choke Help!

How long did you wait?

Couple of things. Electric chokes work like the old mechanical divorced chokes. When cold/off, the lever forces the choke plate closed. When the choke gets power, the electic element inside slowly heats up and let's the lever "relax" to slowly open the choke. It's not like it's an instantaneous solenoid.

Also, run your tests with the engine running. Holley chokes will burn up without the engine running.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=281474

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 7:20 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I always just start the motor when cold, loosen the screws that hold the adjuster in place, then at the moment I want the choke to open, I turn the adjuster till it opens. Tighten the screws back down, and then it will open at the same time interval every time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 7:07 PM Thread Starter
Tod
Lifetime Premium Member
Tod

Ok, so today I wired the choke up properly to a 12v source only when ignition is "on" (with 10amp fusible link) and the negative to a good ground.

Turned ignition key to "on" position and the "plate or Butterfly" never closed to activate the choke sequence. I even started car, briefly, but the choke "plate" never went to the closed position.

After car engine was off (only ran for like 15 seconds at most), I felt the outside of the plastic choke cover and it was warm.

So, am I supposed to loosen the three screws on the plastic choke cover and adjust choke until its in closed position and then start car? Just cant figure out how to get choke closed before I start the car. I can push the "plate" closed with my finger, but it wont stay in that position (when car is not running).

Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 8:15 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Tod,

If the instructions from Holley were not clear, hopefully this basic overview will help you:

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 8:45 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Well, you can't just bolt it on and go, you do have to adjust it. The video above should help. Make sure the choke coil is properly installed on the tang that controls the choke linkages.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Ok, so today I wired the choke up properly to a 12v source only when ignition is "on" (with 10amp fusible link) and the negative to a good ground.

Turned ignition key to "on" position and the "plate or Butterfly" never closed to activate the choke sequence. I even started car, briefly, but the choke "plate" never went to the closed position.

After car engine was off (only ran for like 15 seconds at most), I felt the outside of the plastic choke cover and it was warm.

So, am I supposed to loosen the three screws on the plastic choke cover and adjust choke until its in closed position and then start car? Just cant figure out how to get choke closed before I start the car. I can push the "plate" closed with my finger, but it wont stay in that position (when car is not running).

Thanks
The initial choke setting is closed. The electric heater opens the choke.

To adjust the choke:

Back off the three screws holding the cover until you can turn the cover with a little resistance.

Turn the cover until the choke plate closes. You will have to open the throttle a little so the choke can close all the way. Only turn the cover enough so the plate "just" closes, not a lot of pressure on it.

Tighten the three screws.

This is the starting point.

Start the engine and watch the choke plate, it should slowly open.

It may need to be a little tighter or a little looser for your engine to be happy.

When the engine is cold, push the accelerator to the floor one time to "set" the choke.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 5:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Tod,

If the instructions from Holley were not clear, hopefully this basic overview will help you:

electric choke adjust - YouTube
I love he makes all these little 'adjustments' but you never know what he's doing. Me personally, for summer use I set the choke just closed with the engine cold. I've learned to not pay much attention to the lean-rich markings on the coil cover/body except as a base line to adjust it maybe one mark richer for winter use. After starting the engine and when water temp just begins to move off the lowest reading (need a water temp gauge for this), the choke plate should begin to open and should remain open for quite some time until the spring cools back down.

Also, check to ensure your fast idle cam is engaged when the choke is closed. Doesn't do much good to choke the engine without raising the idle speed when cold.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 5:44 PM Thread Starter
Tod
Lifetime Premium Member
Tod

You guys are great! Thanks for all the advice and videos; I messed with it today and I think I have fixed.....I just assumed that right from the factory it would be ready to go, but I was wrong.

I adjusted cap as video suggested, started car and tested. It was close but not quite where it should be. Adjusted cap, tried again and much closer this time. The high idle does work, when I let car warm up the "flapper" did start to slowly open....just not open all the way. So once again, I adjusted cap and now Im at work and letting car cool down over night and will test again tomorrow.

Thanks to all that responded. I had never hooked one of these up before, so I was challenging myself to learn how rather than pay someone to do it for me. You guys are great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1927 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.