Crazy Electrical Grimlin - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 5:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Crazy Electrical Grimlin

I was driving home in my 68 SS from the car show Saturday and got caught in a rain storm, that doesn't happen to often, so this is the 2nd time I had to use the wipers. Last time I didn't have to use my lights, this time I had lights on.

Ok, so lights are on and I turn wipers on low, the turn indicators on the dash glow green and the fuel gauge goes from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank. If I turn the wipers to high the glow on the turn indicators goes out but the fuel gauge goes to empty. Turn the wiper off gas gauge returns to 1/2 tank.

Lights work as they should and has no effect on gas gauge or turn signals under normal operation with high or low beams. Wipers work as they should and also have no effect on gas gauge or turn indicators when the headlights are off.

Not knowing how all these systems tie into each other has got me rather stumped. Must be a ground issue because I think a test check on the gas gauge is to ground it and it shoud read empty, not sure though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited by NVSS; May 14th, 14 at 6:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 6:02 PM
Tech Team

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Crazy Electrical Grimlin

I don't have a gas gauge problem it works very well without the combo of lights and wipers being used.

BTW I had a 1/2 tank of gas and the gauge read 1/2 tank forgot to put that in my first post. Problem is how can wipers used with headlights have an effect on gas gauge?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 6:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

I had a similar problem on a '64 A-body Pontiac. When I stepped on the brakes, the gas gauge dropped to empty. When I turned on a turn signal, the radio turned on and off. The car ran fine other than the wierd electrical stuff. It turned out to be the ignition switch located down at the base of the column. When the switch was in the "run" position, the contacts were mis-aligned. Something that you might want to check.

Rich
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 6:55 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. With the lights off, the lack of proper grounds isn't apparent as devices seeking a ground find it via dash bulbs thru their filaments to ground. This "path" is lost when the lights are turned on.

You need to verify the wiper switch ground strap is in place and tight on both ends. The cluster assembly needs a good ground as well. A simple method to grounding is run an 18 gauge wire from the metal cluster that holds the gauge assemblies to the parking brake bracket. Dash cluster to ground, dash frame to ground and things like wiper switch ground to dash frame for proper integrity.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 9:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. With the lights off, the lack of proper grounds isn't apparent as devices seeking a ground find it via dash bulbs thru their filaments to ground. This "path" is lost when the lights are turned on.

You need to verify the wiper switch ground strap is in place and tight on both ends. The cluster assembly needs a good ground as well. A simple method to grounding is run an 18 gauge wire from the metal cluster that holds the gauge assemblies to the parking brake bracket. Dash cluster to ground, dash frame to ground and things like wiper switch ground to dash frame for proper integrity.
Thanks Coppertop..........this sound like a plan.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 11:26 AM
Team Member
Steamy

Here's a pic of the headlight/wiper switch grounding plate and the wire that goes from the dash to the parking brake cable bracket. Be sure all this stuff is clean & tight.

Here's a pic of the lighter/ignition switch grounding ring, same conditions as above apply.

Parking brake grounding point.

BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.
Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0/ppuser/15214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1836 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.