wiper switch issues? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 14, 2:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

wiper switch issues?

I have a 71 convertible I bought with serious wiring issues - so I have no idea what worked or didn't prior to me owning it.

I just finished rewiring my 71 with an american auto wire harness.

No issues there.

However - the wiper switch is giving me grief - I think - unless it is a ground issue?

the wiper motor only works when the button is depressed to make the squirters work - then they run for the 3-4 wipes and park

There is nothing in the on low speed or high speed functions - not even a shudder

Could this be a gound issue or is it the switch gone bad.

The AAW instructions say the three wires to the switch are actually grounds - there is not live 12V that actually goes to the switch.

The SS Gauge panel does have the ground strap from headlight switch to wiper switch - but I don't see anything other than the strap being screwed to the steel dash support bracket. Does there need to be an actual wired ground from the ground strap to the chassis/body? I would have thought that having the dash bracket bolted to the body would be ground enough?

Thoughts

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 14, 3:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: wiper switch issues?

I can't tell you what's wrong but from experience with older cars and my 64 its usually a grounding problem. Usually you will have one power to the motor that's fused with a 20 amp and the rest are wires that go to ground.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 14, 4:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Garage

Make sure the switch is grounded well. I have seen wiper switches with excess play that just will not work right. Even after taking them apart cleaning and reassembly. Also the ground strap will need a clean metal surface to get a good ground. On the 65s ONE screw is all that holds the groung strap to the metal dash opening. I have seen some people make a separate ground wire and attach it between the strap and the firewall. You want clean metal to get a good ground. I recently fixed a Camaro where all the grounds were not clean. They had a high build of paint. This car was backfeeding power all over the place.

Scott
65 Malibu SS Red On Red 4 Speed
Sold It

Showroom https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0/ppuser/28378

Current Evening Orchid Project Finally Done
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/seseyeguy/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 14, 7:11 PM
Gold Member
Joe

It's absolutely critical you have the wiper switch/headlight switch ground strap assembly in place. The 2 holes represent where the screws go thru to both physically hold the switch ears in place as well as transfer the ground.

No good ground at wiper switch housing=no wipers PERIOD.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1866 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.