Weird grounding block bolted to firewall - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 8:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Weird grounding block bolted to firewall

Trying to clean up the eyesore that is bolted to my firewall...Anyway to relocate this to stock location? Also, there are two wires, a green and a brown that are bolted to it and run to the front near the horns but are cut and don't attach to anything. Any idea what they were for? both horns stiff have their wiring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	169266   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	169274   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	169282  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 8:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage
Re: Weird grounding block bolted to firewall

There is no stock location because thatís FAR from factoryÖyikes. What year car?

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 8:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yeah..I was afraid of that...1967 Elco

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 9:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

probably best to just start over with a new harness at this point huh?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 9:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
todd

Well, there's not that many wires there. I would trace them to each end, figure out if they're needed. The one's that are needed, put a decent splice on and some clean routing and put inside some sort of sleeve/wrap. Get rid of that junction block, I don't really know what purpose it serves.
And get a grommet in there too.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 9:49 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Wow, looks like a repurposed telephone demarcation point wiring assembly.

See my response in your courtesy light post, new harnesses are looking like the way to go...

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok, so after I remove the unnecessary wires and remove the block, how/where do I ground whats left? And yes Coppertop, a rewire is definitely needed in the nearish future but for now, seeing as how most everything works and there are other things to get done, I am going to limp this harness along a bit longer. What seems to most recommended harness around here?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
todd

I don't think that block has anything to do with ground. I might be wrong as I'm not familiar with it.
Find out where or what the large green and brown wires did. If nothing, get them outta the way.
Next the big red wire...where does it start and stop? Untape as necessary. Remove the two eyelets and do a butt splice.
The one on far left. It doesn't look like it leaves the block. Trace to see where it comes from. Needed? If not, delete.
Same for two in the center. Needed?
I might be wrong on this but it looks like a simple junction block but I have no idea what its purpose would be.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 7:15 AM
Tech Team
Sergio

Looks like the red wire goes inside the car. Possible to another distribution block that ends up powering something else.

Does the orange wire go to the starter?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 7:55 AM
Team Member
carlo

Garage

Bikepro
I'm not sure from that first pic if that's fusilli or linguine. but at the very least a new engine harness is easy enough to install. before you order engine harness figure out any upgrades. ie. one wire alt, msd, internal regulator. american auto wire configured my engine harness & everything was spot on !
hmardown

empty garage
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 8:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

That's an old terminal strip. Apparently someone in the past did some electrical mod or repair of the existing harness. I would trace each wire to it's destination to figure out what is going on before removing or modifying it. It is isolated from ground or power as each lug is a separate circuit.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 7:38 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebro View Post
What seems to most recommended harness around here?
American Autowire hands-down. They make plug-n-play exact reproduction harnesses, they can modify an otherwise "stock" harness for modern goodies like HEI ignition or internally regulated alternator, or if you want to modernize more, they offer a classic update system that brings newer style fuses, circuits and layouts to your vehicle.

You just have to decide what you want to do in the grand scheme of things when you get to that point.

M&H wiring harness offer similar products, but American Autowire has a representative (Donny) that post here as an added bonus if you run into a snag.

Painless Wiring products is great for resto-mod projects, but they are not for the beginner due to the fact you have to cut, splice and crimp in order to re-use factory connectors for certain items and understand ultimately how the factory circuits worked in order to interface the new wiring properly.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
American Autowire hands-down. They make plug-n-play exact reproduction harnesses, they can modify an otherwise "stock" harness for modern goodies like HEI ignition or internally regulated alternator, or if you want to modernize more, they offer a classic update system that brings newer style fuses, circuits and layouts to your vehicle.

You just have to decide what you want to do in the grand scheme of things when you get to that point.

M&H wiring harness offer similar products, but American Autowire has a representative (Donny) that post here as an added bonus if you run into a snag.

Painless Wiring products is great for resto-mod projects, but they are not for the beginner due to the fact you have to cut, splice and crimp in order to re-use factory connectors for certain items and understand ultimately how the factory circuits worked in order to interface the new wiring properly.
Thanks for the info! Looks like I will go with American Autowire sometime down the road!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok so I chased some wires down today, 4 of them appear to be for the aftermarket water/temp/amp gauges under my heater control (Green and brown from block to front of car and red and yellow from block to gauges) Please examine photos below to get an idea how they are hooked up. So as you can see the green and brown wires are not hooked up to anything at the front of the car, how do I get power to these? I am thinking that if I splice the brown and red together and the green and yellow together and shorten the wire run I could install the stock rubber cover and it would look fine. Is there a better way to do it? Also, is the hole under the block OEM or did someone put that there? How Do I run the wires into the cab if that hole is a DIY job and I fill it in?

Sorry for the long winded series of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	169793   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	169801   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	169809  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Also, the other two red wires that run into the hole below the block seem to go to the ignition so im not sure what to do about those anymore haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1866 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.