67 courtesy light help. - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 7:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

67 courtesy light help.

Hey guys, I am tying to get my courtesy lights to work but am getting nothing. I have one light on the passengers side near the glovebox but on the drivers there is just a bracket (im not even sure it is for the courtesy light or if original at all?). White ground wire is connected to door jam plunger ok so it is a power issue I assume. Under the drivers side dash there are two orange wires that are cut, could this be them? (same color orange as the wire coming off of the passenger side lightbulb socket). Thanks for any info!

I should also note that my heater does nothing when turned on and also has an orange wire coming off of it (see picture) Could one of the cut orange wires be for the heater and the other for the lights?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	169202   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	169210   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	169218   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	169226  

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	169234  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: 67 courtesy light help.

Your third picture is for a courtesy light. that's the bracket, but I don't know if that is for your year, I think that's for 68-69.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 9:30 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Orange is the power wire for the courtesy circuit. So more than likely the broken orange wire is the problem. As far as the orange wire for the heater I think that may be on a different circuit because I thought the heater is only powered when the key is on????? The courtesy lights are constant hot.
In regards to the under dash lights my understanding was the following although I am not swearing that my info is correct. I thought the under dash lights were only standard on convertible Chevelles as they had no dome light. They do come as part of AAW's classic update kit and when I did my 69 I installed them even though they were not originally in my car. They also look different than the lights shown. Once again not saying mine are correct but they are plastic fixtures and are hooded so the lights shine downward.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 9:42 PM
Gold Member
Joe

In later years they could be had apart of the aux. lighting group option as an extra cost.

Regardless of "correctness", as stated, orange wires in the courtesy circuit are hot at all times (protected by the 20 amp courtesy/clock/lighter fuse). The bulbs have this + 12 volt connection, they are off until someone opens a door or rotates the headlamp switch in which the white wires provide the switched ground connection.

As far as the heater...to be honest I'm surprised you don't have bigger problems....that fuse box clip rust looks terrible. That is a major issue as far as voltage drops and reliability and even safety issues. You could try to clean the rust, but usually the connections behind the clips inside the block are also corroded. Maybe the time to think about harness replacement.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 10:02 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Maybe the time to think about harness replacement.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that picture but I didn't want to overwhelm him as he is fairly new to this site so I assumed fairly new to his Chevelle. Might want to look into an American Auto Wire brand classic update kit. They are about $500.00 and redo the entire car. Fairly easy to install and great support from AAW.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK, so if I were to splice the two orange wires together, how would the system get power? Should I put one of the orange wires to the fuse box? And as far as the rust goes, yes I know...im gonna work on that asap. The whole wiring system is just hacked up and looks terrible. Everything else works for now though so I am just limping it along for a bit longer. And yes, I have a fire extinguisher at hand just in case!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 10:09 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The orange wire should already be powered from the fuse box. The courtesy circuit is constant powered and when it gets a ground ( white wire from door jamb switch) or by rotating headlight switch it completes the circuit and they illuminate. What you have in the picture of the orange wire looks like an old repair to that wire.
By the way your pics are great. That is the way to go when showing a problem. Pics tell a thousand words!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So the orange wires should be getting power based on what i have plugged into the fuse box now? If so I will splice those two orange wires this weekend and see what happens! And thanks! I am still very new to all things wiring so pictures compensate for my inadequacies haha.

Thanks again guys, hopefully one day I will be as knowledgeable as you folks and be able to help others out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 14, 10:43 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

In your picture of the fuse box I see three orange wires coming out of it. Granted one may be the heater blower wire discussed earlier. Best way to check that orange courtesy wire for power would be with a Multimeter. If you don't have one you might want to get one. They are not all that expensive and are invaluable for troubleshooting electrical problems.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 14, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Success! Connected those two orange wires and on went the passenger side light! Now how can I get a drivers side in? I found a mount that looks exactly like the passengers side just to the left of the steering column but there are no loose wires/light socket to be found?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	169785  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 8th, 14, 10:36 AM
Tech Team
Jon

Do you have a wiring diagram? If not you should get one. It will show you what goes where and what colors and sizes the wires should be. I've seen your other posts and someone did some unique wiring to your car and I'm sure a lot of the wire colors and sizes are different than the wiring diagram. At least you will know where things should and need to go. The diagrams look complicated at first but if your patient and label everything you find, you will solve your problems one at a time.

'66 Marina Blue SS Clone
427 BB 10.5:1 cr
Sft cam 243/251 @.050
AFR 265
Keisler RS600 with 3.73 12 bolt posi
Holley 950 HP
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 8th, 14, 6:24 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well you have a couple choices for the drivers side. You could trace the wires back from the passenger side and see if you can find the unused wires or you could just tap into the passenger side and run the wire over. As for the fixture I know they are part of the AAW Classic Update Kit so you could check if they sell them separately or you could see if any of the vendors sell the fixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1929 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.