trunk light popping fuse - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 14, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage
trunk light popping fuse

hey guys, having an electrical issue on my 70 that maybe you can give me a good starting point.

when I plug in my trunk light into the harness and open the door my fuse pops killing my dome light and under dash courtesy lights. I understand they are all on the same circuit but not sure if I have a grounding issue and where. with the trunk light not plugged in I have no issues. all my wiring is new, including trunk harness and I even bought a new trunk light incase it was my original causing the short. all of my rear lights work fine.

Thoughts on which ground could be causing the issue?

thanks

Dave

TC Member # 5462
70 Chevelle SS/396 4-Speed
DYNO RWHP: 364HP @ 5200 RPM / 426 Torque @ 3500 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 14, 4:46 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage
Re: trunk light popping fuse

Sounds like the trunk light power wire is going straight to ground. It could also be in the light socket itself. Hopefully you have a multi-meter. I'd check ohms from the bulb socket to ground first.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 14, 6:16 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog1970 View Post
hey guys, having an electrical issue on my 70 that maybe you can give me a good starting point.

when I plug in my trunk light into the harness and open the door my fuse pops killing my dome light and under dash courtesy lights. I understand they are all on the same circuit but not sure if I have a grounding issue and where. with the trunk light not plugged in I have no issues. all my wiring is new, including trunk harness and I even bought a new trunk light incase it was my original causing the short. all of my rear lights work fine.

Thoughts on which ground could be causing the issue?

thanks

Dave
Dave,

I'm a little confused. You say when you open the door, the courtesy fuse pops. Do you mean the door or the trunk lid?

If opening the car door causes this, there might be more to it.

The trunk lamp only connects to the orange feed (hot all the time). The ground is provided by the trunk hinges to the body. The doors provide a ground on the white wires that ground all courtesy lights when they then open. I'm wondering if if there is a connector issue or moving a wire causing issues. By right, if there was a problem with the trunk light, you'd blow the courtesy fuse immediately when connecting it to orange power.

??

What happens when you connect the trunk lamp to the orange courtesy feed and touch the housing to a good ground, does it light, or does it blow out the fuse? Remember you have to tilt it to mimic it's "on" position like when it's mounted in the trunk lid as it uses a mercury tilt switch.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 14, 8:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Joe, good questions. I'll have to double check the sequence when the fuse pops. believe with the trunk lid closed and when I open the car door or pops, but if I have the trunk light wire disconnected from the harness no issues.

I'll pull the light and try to touch it to a good ground source in the correct position with doors closed to see what it does.

thanks,

Dave

TC Member # 5462
70 Chevelle SS/396 4-Speed
DYNO RWHP: 364HP @ 5200 RPM / 426 Torque @ 3500 RPM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 14, 8:22 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Check bulb in trunk light to make sure it is a single pin and not a duel pin. Just a thought.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 14, 10:24 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Dave: Is this something that just started happening or has this been the issue since the new wiring? Sounds like this is just the courtesy circuit and not related to the other lights in the rear. Unless it is something obvious a multimeter will find the problem. They are a great troubleshooting tool and will help one to keep their sanity. Very easy to use once one understands how they work and what they are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1906 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.