AMP draw and alternator question - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 14, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Jeffrey

AMP draw and alternator question

Good evening,

I have a 72 that is drawing 4 amps with the key off. I pulled all the fuses and am still getting a draw. I have done some research and I am thinking that this is my fault in the way I wired under the hood (of course its my fault). I have gone through 3 alternators from Autozone and I couldnt understand why I keep going through them. I found a slow leak in my dash because I got rid of all stock and still had some hot wires. Popped that fuse but still killed the battery.

My car had an external regulator originally but I wired it to jump the regulator and not have it. Buying the alternators from Autozone for a 72 chenille I am buying one that should be used for an external regulator. Could that be why Im drawing 4 amps because I am using an alternator for an external regulator but I'm not using one?

This is what happens when you learn as you go. I feel like I may have made my car internally regulated without knowing it. I just wanted to get some confirmation.

If so this may have solved all of my problems (and I hope it hasn't been 30 days since i bought this last alternator)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffro199; May 2nd, 14 at 9:59 PM. Reason: Update info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 14, 9:57 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: AMP draw and alternator question

Jeff,

If you step up to the counter and just say "an alternator for a '72 Chevelle", then by right, they are going to pull an externally regulated alternator off the shelf. You can't convert an external alternator by modifying the wiring in the engine bay.

If you want an internally regulated alternator, then the easiest thing is to make up a vehicle.

If you said "I've got a 1973 Malibu with a/c" you'd get a 63 amp internally regulated alternator....

The only issue you might run into is finding a suitable rear bracket that bolts to the rear of the alternator that lines up with the hole... But I digress....

Here is the basics of wiring once you get the correct alternator; there are variations, but this is hopefully how you went about it:

https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

As far as your current draw....disconnect the battery (-).

Disconnect the red wire from the rear of the alternator and cover it with something so it doesn't short to ground . Unplug the 2wire connector from the alternator as well.
Reconnect battery (-), did the draw go away ?

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 14, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Jeffrey

Thank you for the response. The blue wire on my connector is hot as is the red cable when i use a circuit tester. The white wire gives me nothing. You have confirmed my epiphany. Boy am I going to have an exciting day tomorrow fixing this correctly. This is a huge weight of my shoulders.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 14, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Oh, and by the way, quickest visual confirmation is look at the connector (slot where the 2 wire harness plugs into the alternator);

If the contacts look like :

| |

This is an externally regulated alternator

_ _

This is an internally regulated alternator

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1904 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.