72 Chevelle Starter Wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 14, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
John

72 Chevelle Starter Wiring

Hello and thanks for allowing me to be part of Team Chevelle. I have recently purchased a 350 Chevelle Malibu SS. I'm pretty particular about things I do and the wiring under the hood needed some attention. After all it is a Chevelle and it's got to be right.. I'm hoping that by looking at the pictures someone can help me identify these wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Wire.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	167889  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 1st, 14, 7:39 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: 72 Chevelle Starter Wiring

Hi John,

Welcome to TC.

I think you would be better off buying a new wiring harness for under the hood. That one has been damaged and repaired to the point where I would question it's integrity, not to mention the time you'll spend to get it back to spec (replacing fusible links).

There is no "ground to block" apart of the starter/power harness.

Mystery #1 wire is a severely burnt fusible link.

Any main feed from the battery (+) connection on the starter solenoid was originally protected by a 14 ga. fusible link.

The way these '72's were set-up was, they took advantage of the fact the battery (+) cable was already at the starter, so the main power feed was simply bolted together with it to feed the rest of the car. To feed the rest of the car, it traveled up the firewall to the horn relay by the brake booster, and then power for the interior and other loads were tapped off from there.

To see how the harness should look unmolested, look here:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401618

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 14, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
John

Re: 72 Chevelle Starter Wiring

Thanks for the quick response. I have considered a new under the hood harness and will probably pursue that avenue. Thanks for the link you've shared; it's the one I've been studying all week. There has been a lot of work done there! Great resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2001 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.