Clock in console won't light up - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 14, 1:07 PM Thread Starter
Rory

Clock in console won't light up

Hi, on the 67 Chevelle I bought recently the clock in the console doesn't light up when you pull on the lights at night. I tried the replace the bulb but the old burned out bulb was melted into the light socket. I removed it and cleaned it up but I can't get a new bulb to light up.
In order to fix this do I need to order a new wiring harness for inside the console so I have a new bulb socket to plug the new bulb into?

I was also thinking about possibly ordering a new quartz clock for the console. If I do that, I'm assuming it comes ready to just plug into the existing wiring harness right? That should already have the new bulb and everything inside of it so maybe that's the best/easiest way to go and just plug it in. Any thoughts, advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 14, 9:30 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: Clock in console won't light up

The bulb pigtails are separate from the clock mechanism. Buying a new clock would not ensure you get a new lamp pigtail/holder. You might be able to find a pigtail in the aftermarket at a parts store if yours is damaged. Did you take a test light to verify the gray wire has 12 volts with the headlights on?

The bulb holder gets its ground from the clock body which ultimately gets a ground from the car body thru it's mounting.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 14, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Rory

Re: Clock in console won't light up

Thanks Joe, I'll be getting the car out of a storage facility this coming Sunday so I'll have to get a test light to see if there's juice getting through the wire with the lights on. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks, Rory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1940 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.