Stereo Amp wiring in ElCo questions - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 14, 2:40 PM Thread Starter
JPS
Tech Team
Joe

Stereo Amp wiring in ElCo questions

Problem:
During [sub'd to a resto shop] an interior resto to my '70 ElCo interior, the floor carpet/insulation is glued in place before AMP wiring was in place. Custom carpet/DynaMat/sound insulation well done otherwise, but will settle score later w/shop later.
Ceiling insulation and headliner not in yet, but before installing, this may be a way around:
Instead of removing and replacing carpet/insulation layer now, has anyone ever routed Amp power, trigger, RCA's and speaker duplex up the A pillar, between the roof-frame support and back down behind the sail panel/corner panel to floor?

That appears to be the only route shy of removing and replacing carpet, other than just lifting carpet/insulation edges just inside sill plate and run 1/2 bundle wiring on either side. IE: Amp power[#8]/trigger[#16] on driver side, RCA's & speaker duplex on passenger side.
Those appear to be a bit of a large bundle to sit flat on floor next to sill plate and not appear as an undulation in the carpet surface.

Only problems I can see with 'Ceiling route' is that if [when] ever required to cut/weld any roof edge rust, torch heat will waste wiring. Exterior paint planned in a year or so.
Short of that, anybody ever try this or have better solution?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 14, 4:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: Stereo Amp wiring in ElCo questions

I always just run the wiring along the sill plate like you were saying. No issues and it's a quick way to get it done. An 8ga power wire should be plenty for the amp and fit just fine with the preout and power up wire. If your gonna use those fancy monster sized wires they sell at radio shops things might get tight but you have two still plates problem solved.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 14, 6:10 PM
Gold Member
Joe

I agree with Zombie.

Just do the "dual" sill plate route. Just take care not to pinch anything when reassembly time comes.

The roof route would be a nightmare. The heat that is developed in the in the roof (I'm just talking sun here) will prematurely "age" the insulation. AND if anything happens to the wiring/bundling/supports, you'll be looking at a nice lumpy/stretchy mess when the works fall down and land on the headliner material.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 14, 2:10 PM Thread Starter
JPS
Tech Team
Joe

Looking at the floor again yesterday, I agree- the runs just inside the sill plates on both sides is a good plan B.
My big concern is the wiring 'ghosting' thru the carpet surface, and that it may be worse over time.
When reviewing it with the shop, I pointed out they should have thought ahead on this one, and they agreed, but suggested the 'ghosting' might also show up anywhere on the floor anyway.
I think the amp wiring could have laid alongside or either side of the original GM wire harness sheath [driver side], and likely been barely noticeable. The other issue about running wiring alongside the GM harness was that I could have laid an extra (+)conductor for power to a 'dummy' center console [car is a column shifter]. Hopefully the 'sill' route will work for that too.
I'm might be making a bigger deal of this than it is, and they've done a nice job to this point otherwise.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 14, 10:06 PM
Gold Founding Member

I ran the amp power wire directly off the battery - thru fuse- down to frame - thru the boxed frame- out hole near back wall of cab-drilled hole in corner thru floor - ran to amp. The portion thru the frame was protected from abrasion by plastic wire loom. Avoided running power and signal wires together.

Rick
72 El Camino & Old Friend
TPI 350
NEW HOME
ACES #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #0038
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1884 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.