Anyone ever tried these bulbs - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 2:25 AM Thread Starter
JKK
Tech Team
JK

Anyone ever tried these bulbs

1157 50 watt replacements use in tail lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Bright-5...r#ht_476wt_973
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 4:39 AM
Tech Team
Les

Garage
Re: Anyone ever tried these bulbs

I wouldn't bother. They're overpriced and shipping is crazy too!
They can be shipped 1st class for less than 3 bucks.
Someone's trying to get rich quick?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

using my Googlefoo powers (Google is your friend) with the search "h1157 light bulbs", I found these (and more):

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/110...FUiFfgodhbQAEw

However, I would wonder what the heat in the lamp assembly would be, and whether it might cause issues with the plastic lens.

Good luck,
Tom

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 2:20 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If you want bright, I'd be looking at LED's. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower-/814/

I put a pair of 1157's on my motorcycle that are >2x as bright as stock. They weren't cheap but I wanted something that was more obvious for safety.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 4:53 PM
Gold Member

That looks like a huge increase in heat. I would be thinking it could damage the lens and maybe the lamp housing. Here is some info on the ordinary 1157 lamp.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th..._bulb?#slide=2
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 5:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Looking at an ad for the H1157's, it says "not for use in plastic sockets". So that definitely points to a heat issue. And lets me out of using them in many of my cars.

Alan,
Read about LED's on a cycle site, was stated that diodes were required to make them work for the person discussing. Did you need any other wiring or diodes to get them to work for you?

"Just remember, your last car is always a station wagon." chaos10meter, on The H.A.M.B.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 5:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post
Looking at an ad for the H1157's, it says "not for use in plastic sockets". So that definitely points to a heat issue. And lets me out of using them in many of my cars.

Alan,
Read about LED's on a cycle site, was stated that diodes were required to make them work for the person discussing. Did you need any other wiring or diodes to get them to work for you?
there is a special flasher assy. led #552

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 9:17 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygod View Post

Alan,
I'm not an expert but discerned that I only needed the diodes if I was using the bulb in a flasher position. The brake and run lights don't flash so no diode needed. I did buy some aftermarket LED turn signals but they were already set up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

front and rear dual filament bulbs on a Chevelle do flash, so the LED's could be an issue

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dana

To run LED, you just need a compatible electronic flasher. I have them in my 70 convertible.

Dana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 1:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

what you need to run LEDs in a flasher capacity is called a no load flasher. The higher-than-led current draw of a regular bulb is what causes the flasher cans to oscillate back and forth. the LEDs dont have the same draw so they never make the flashers flash. I got my no load flashers from mike at musclerodz when i picked up my animated LED tails and LED markers but they are prob quite common now and you could get them just about anywhere.

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 5:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Never heard flasher's called no load. I use an electronic flasher. Looks just like a standard flasher and has the same flash time no matter how many bulbs are on the circuit. Only draw back is you don't get the slow flash when a bulb is out until a cop let's you know.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 6:55 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Well, whoever is the marketing genius behind those bulbs should be slapped.

Halogen lamps in tight quarters behind a standard lens?

No only do you risk "liquifying" your tail light lenses, the factory and aftermarket replacement sockets take a huge brunt of that heat. Those will be quickly damaged as well. That style of lamp (although not dual filament) is what we used in the older pre-LED rotators in light bars when I worked for the State Patrol as an electronics tech. Even with high temperature fiberglass wiring and special lens design--boy was there still heat damage!

Not sure where the need for "diodes" comes into play for LED replacements unless you are making your own stuff from scratch...

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1916 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.