1970 El Camino Wiring Harness Diagram - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1970 El Camino Wiring Harness Diagram

Hey, installing a new wiring harness from the firewall to the headlights to alternator in my 1970 El Camino Custom. Harness is from NPD and no diagram came with it. Looking to see if anyone has a simple diagram for what connections go where. I have seen the 1970 diagram which is pretty complex. Looking for something less complex to follow. Just trying to make sure I plug in the correct connections. Not that many connections since this is a warning lights, no AC car.

Thanks, Steve

Steve Petzer - Richmond, VA
Daily Driver 1970 El Camino Custom NOM 350/300HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 7:26 AM
Tech Team
Sergio

Re: 1970 El Camino Wiring Harness Diagram

You might need someone to post photos of theirs as i took mine apart before doing that except for these two.

Below is an ugly photo of my old horn relay setup. You got a 10 red wire on the left there coming from the splice using a spade connector followed by a 12 red wire that splices onto a 16 black fusible link that comes from the bulkhead. My manual states another 10 black wire going to the horn relay but i did not have it. The other two smaller wires i can't be sure where they go in the horn relay.I would need help with that too . The other photo is of the voltage regulator. The second wire to the top should be orange but it's dirty. On the side of the regulator is a spade connection where you hook up a ground wire to it.

Then there is another 10 red wire that is together with an orange fusible link which routes between your radiator support and radiator then get hooked up with the junction block right next to your battery.

The third 10 red wire with the rubber boot goes right to the alternator post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	160665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0127.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	160673  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 9:20 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Petzer View Post
Hey, installing a new wiring harness from the firewall to the headlights to alternator in my 1970 El Camino Custom. Harness is from NPD and no diagram came with it. Looking to see if anyone has a simple diagram for what connections go where. I have seen the 1970 diagram which is pretty complex. Looking for something less complex to follow. Just trying to make sure I plug in the correct connections. Not that many connections since this is a warning lights, no AC car.

Thanks, Steve
Steve, That would be our harness. Section 12 of the assembly manual shows the routing of the front light harness really well, and almost everything will fall into place if routed properly. If you have a question or two, our tech guys can help you with placement, just give them a call or send them an email.

Donny

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies. Working on installing next few days. Appreciate your help. May call NPD if I cannot figure it out! Do not have the Chevelle Assembly manual, sounds like need to order!

Steve Petzer - Richmond, VA
Daily Driver 1970 El Camino Custom NOM 350/300HP
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 14, 7:14 AM
Tech Team
Sergio

The assembly manual is a great thing to have around. I use mine all the time, especially for wiring.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 14, 9:34 AM
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
The assembly manual is a great thing to have around. I use mine all the time, especially for wiring.
X2!

I've removed and reinstalled my forward lighting harness. Not that hard to do. If you have gauges, an oddity will be two ammeter wires: one coming from the bulkhead connector to the horn relay and another connecting to the junction block on the rad support by the battery.

It's really not hard. Having the driver's inner fender either loose or removed makes the bulkhead connection SOOO much easier.

michael j (your mileage may vary.)

1970 Chevelle SS396 - "Elektra"
Canadian built true SS, L34, bucket seats, 4 speed, Posi, console, deep fathom blue with white interior, white vinyl top and white stripes.

1980 El Camino
229 V6, 200C Metric (soon to have a 200-4R)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 14, 11:36 AM

Sir, all connections have a certain shape.. They will "only" plug into the mating plug. The headlights that have 3 wires on them go to the hi-beam and the 2-plug goes to the lo-beam...temp guage (green wire) goes to the drivers side of the head...alternater plug 4-wire will plug into the voltage regulater..etc..etc..you can see where I'm going with the plug figures..any other questions, email me ([email protected])..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 4:05 PM

Have you tried looking at El Camino Central. They have all the electrical diagrams there.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27190
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1892 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.