It Begins... AAW Classic in 72 Elky - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 14, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
It Begins... AAW Classic in 72 Elky

I'm running out of time before the Cruise nites start. So in the midst of my paint work and general overhaul, I'm doing a rewire using American Autowire Classic Update kit. So far I like what I see. I'll use this thread to pass along my questions as I go. And of course I have one right away.

I've installed the fuse panel and my first question is: Does the main harness go over or under the steering column. My Dash is out, interior stripped. Does it follow the firewall or go in front of the steering column mount.

PS, I counted over 50 cut wires or changes to the stock harness.

72 El Camino SS?
(only the original owner knows for sure.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 14, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Re: It Begins... AAW Classic in 72 Elky

I'm going for over the top off the steering wheel. Too many short dash leads for it to go anywhere else. So far this is kinda fun. Hope it stays that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

72 El Camino SS?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 1:00 AM
Tech Team
Lewis

On my '68 i went over, the dash bundle has a quick connect if you ever need to pull the dash in the future.

Lewis
68' was a great year, would have been cool if I was there!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 1:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks Lewis,
I'm assuming I can pre-wire the dash somewhat before I put it in. I guess I'll find out when I get there. Made some pretty good progress today, I moved on to the engine harness. After laying it out, it doesn't seem so intimidating.

72 El Camino SS?

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 9:03 AM
Team Member
Roger

I'm doing the same w/ my 72 Elky. The wire bundle does go over the steering column and to the rear of the brace that supports the column.
BUT, be sure to leave enough slack on the left side of the column to connect the light switch and wiper switch. If you do that everything on the right of the steering column will fall into place.
Are you going w/ a stock dash & gauge cluster? That will be easier since that is what the AAW harness is made for. I'm installing a Digital Dakota digital gauge cluster, Vintage Air, and a Retro Sound stereo, so I have to make a few mods.
Good Luck
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 9:22 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan10101 View Post
I'm running out of time before the Cruise nites start. So in the midst of my paint work and general overhaul, I'm doing a rewire using American Autowire Classic Update kit. So far I like what I see. I'll use this thread to pass along my questions as I go. And of course I have one right away.

I've installed the fuse panel and my first question is: Does the main harness go over or under the steering column. My Dash is out, interior stripped. Does it follow the firewall or go in front of the steering column mount.

PS, I counted over 50 cut wires or changes to the stock harness.
It goes over the steering column and pedal saddle assembly in behind the cluster. If you have an assembly manual (extremely helpful for routing purposes), go back to section 12 and it will show how many of the harnesses route through the car (all except the Rear Body).

Donny
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 9:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks guys,
I have a round gauge dash with idiot lights in the ends. I'm replacing them with some aftermarket gauges that look close to stock. It looks a bit hokey from the back side, but great from the front. So I have some customizing to do as well. The easy part is that the oil and water gauges are mechanical. The Volt meter should be fairly easy to wire in too. Oh, and I have a clock replacement tach to wire in as well.

I have a fair number of other modifications, ECU for the Holley TBI, Fuel pump, nitrous and nitrous fuel pump, electric fan, HEI, original aftermarket Air, and possibly an amp/tuner or hidden stereo.

Also, it's an El Camino so I have to decide to reuse my existing rear harness or wire in the add-on kit.

Right now I'm teaching myself how to crimp wires all over again. I have a professional crimper but it may not be exactly the same as the one AAW rents. It looks like I can make it work, but it may take a bit of practice to not over crimp and distort the connector.

I need to go thru my old books and see if I have an assembly manual. But, at least I have this part right. Thanks.

72 El Camino SS?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Well, I'm making good progress. I did run into one problem, (well several).
I can't disconnect the engine and front lights connectors from the main fuse panel. I knew I had to take it apart to put some dialect grease on the contacts, so I didn't think I cranked it down. Now it seems like it's slipping, I don't see any way to get a wrench on it from the inside. Am I missing something?

Donny, suggestions?

Is there a wiring diagram of the whole system somewhere? I've run into a couple questions of what some of the paths are.

Such as, is the 12v ignition going to the gauge cluster a fused 12v or do I need to add an inline fuse for my aftermarket tach. (pink wire)

Thanks,
Dan

72 El Camino SS?

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 3:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I'm replacing the dash, anyone know how to remove the old lighter housing?

Donny, how can I get the fuse block separated from the front harnesses?

72 El Camino SS?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 9:01 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

If your lighter is the same as my 69 it has a bezel that just unscrews from the rear.
If you are trying to remove wires from the front (engine bay side) of the fuse panel, I don't believe that is necessary. I believe it is recommended to cover the exposed connectors/ends with rtv after all the wires are installed.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 9:23 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
I'm replacing the dash, anyone know how to remove the old lighter housing?

Donny, how can I get the fuse block separated from the front harnesses?
There are two clips that come away from the bulkhead connector and snap up over the legs on the fusebox. Just unsnap them with a smallish screwdriver, and the fusebox will pull away. The drive nut on the back side may have come out of the bulkhead assembly. If you separate the two and hold that drive nut to get the bold started on the engine bay side, it should pull that drive nut back into the bulkhead.

Donny
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

blm, Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Donny, I was hoping you had a trick up your sleeve. I didn't want to start over or leave it like it is. I'm about ready to start this thing! I just need to figure out how to hook up the neutral safety to the B&M shifter.

Thanks!

72 El Camino SS?

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

blm, That was too easy. I thought it was spinning, but it was loosening up. Thanks.

Donny,
I think i need a bit more instruction. Remember, the two are bolted together, (installed). So am I looking for these clips on the engine side or under the dash? You don't have a picture do you?

Thanks,
Dan

72 El Camino SS?

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 14, 12:50 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
blm, That was too easy. I thought it was spinning, but it was loosening up. Thanks.

Donny,
I think i need a bit more instruction. Remember, the two are bolted together, (installed). So am I looking for these clips on the engine side or under the dash? You don't have a picture do you?

Thanks,
Dan
Didn't think about it being bolt into the firewall. You'll need to take the bolts out to separate the fusebox from the bulkhead. Take a look and you'll see what I'm saying.

Donny
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 14, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Donny,
By doing what you said I was able to unclip the 2 clips and separate the main fuse panel. The "nut" was loose and came right out. The bolt spins freely. However it won't separate from it's mating surface. It looks like it's being held by the headlight harness connection and won't budge. I suspect it's not mated correctly, or one of the connector got hooked. Any suggestions?

Side but lesser important questions. Is there a horn relay with this harness? I have a relay on the dash, but can't remember where it went. Possibly the horn or the electric fan.
This is the one on the firewall.

Also, what is the relay that is bolted to the bottom of the dash around the middle. There is even a bracket for it on the new dash I'm installing (installed).
This is the one under the dash

72 El Camino SS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1886 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.