It Begins... AAW Classic in 72 Elky - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 14, 10:43 PM
Gold Founding Member

Re: It Begins... AAW Classic in 72 Elky

Dan - I'm pretty sure that the second pic is the power relay for TCS ( Transmission Controlled Spark ). Located on the flat rolled under section of the dash, under the radio, IF it is the one I am remembering .

Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ACES #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #0038
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 14, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

That's where it's located. I'm running HEI so I suppose it's not needed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

72 El Camino SS?
(only the original owner knows for sure.)

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 14, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Yay! I got it apart! The front harness connections to the fuse block. One of the electrical connections was stuck. But I don't see any damage so I'm going to take a chance and put the dielectric grease on it and put it back together. Maybe it will come apart easier the next time, if there ever is a next time.

72 El Camino SS?

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 14, 9:58 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan10101 View Post

This is the one on the firewall.

It is the horn relay
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 14, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks Gm454 for the confirmation. Ill be adding modern relays abd was wondering which of the connections have to be used. Such as ignition 12v. Is it necessary?

Great news! I have all the major components wired and working. Engine starts, lights all work, dash gauges all work even my add-ons. I'll work thru the misc leftovers and it'll be done!

72 El Camino SS?

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 14, 10:07 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Great news! I have all the major components wired and working. Engine starts, lights all work, dash gauges all work even my add-ons. I'll work thru the misc leftovers and it'll be done!
That is great news! I'll send you taxi fare and we can start on my 72 next weekend I've been doing yard work (ugh) just to avoid starting on the wiring .

Rick

ACES #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #0038
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 14, 2:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Ok, with taxi fair from California to Texas, I could drive my 10mpg El Camino.

I still have a few things to hook up, but it's pretty close.
Thanks,
Dan

72 El Camino SS?

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 2:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Donny (or anyone that can help)
I'm having a heck of a time getting in contact with the AAW tech support guys. I"m on the west coast and once I'm off work, they are long gone. I've figured out most of my problems, but I still have a couple questions.

First: What kind of connector do I use to tap into the interior side of the fuse block. I need a hot connection but can't see how to plug into it. It looks like more than just a standard blade connector.

Second: Is there a simple way to wire in the fan relay? I use a switch rather than a temp sensor. I'm not sure what the wire labeled "Fan" does.

Thanks,
Dan

72 El Camino SS?

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 9:41 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Donny (or anyone that can help)
I'm having a heck of a time getting in contact with the AAW tech support guys. I"m on the west coast and once I'm off work, they are long gone. I've figured out most of my problems, but I still have a couple questions.

First: What kind of connector do I use to tap into the interior side of the fuse block. I need a hot connection but can't see how to plug into it. It looks like more than just a standard blade connector.

Second: Is there a simple way to wire in the fan relay? I use a switch rather than a temp sensor. I'm not sure what the wire labeled "Fan" does.

Thanks,
Dan
Hey Dan...

The terminals in the fuse block and bulkhead assemblies are just Packard 56 Series parts for the most part. There were some extra ones included throughout the kit and there are other wires that can be plugged into the engine connection to add things. Be more specific and I'll try and answer your question better.

The fan relay connection is very straight forward. The orange "fan" wire in the F/L harness is an ignition powered trigger for the relay. Get one of our 500479 fan relay kits. They are very high quality GM parts with high heat GXL/SXL wire, and are very reasonably priced at $22.00 for the kit. It will give you everything you need, including great instructions, to make a solid connection between your fan and the Classic Update Kit.

I will check back and see where you are with things. In addition, we are here at 8:30, if you can get up a bit early for work, give us a call then. If all else fails, I'll give you my cell and you can call me in the evening when you get home from work.

Donny
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks Donny.

I was able to get thru to Craig this morning and he cleared up a couple things. I found a switched connection with a heavy wire (power windows) in the accessories bundle to connect my AC to, It will run the fan motor and temp controls and of course trigger the AC compressor relay. I was able to get the Horn relay (too easy, just read the directions), fan relay (with a switch under the dash) and the AC compressor relay all wired and working. Put some freon in the system and it's blowing COLD. None of the wires seemed to get hot or even warm so I think I'm good.

The only other thing I would like to do is have the AC 'on' trigger the fan relay. I thought about using the compressor trigger wire, but then it might trigger the compressor when I flip the fan switch. Plus when it cycles off, the fan would also go off. I'll mull this one over, it's fine the way it is when I'm driving, but not if someone else is using the truck. I'm open to suggestions. BTW, this AC unit is likely a dealer installed under dash AC.

72 El Camino SS?

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 9:31 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Thanks Donny.

I was able to get thru to Craig this morning and he cleared up a couple things. I found a switched connection with a heavy wire (power windows) in the accessories bundle to connect my AC to, It will run the fan motor and temp controls and of course trigger the AC compressor relay. I was able to get the Horn relay (too easy, just read the directions), fan relay (with a switch under the dash) and the AC compressor relay all wired and working. Put some freon in the system and it's blowing COLD. None of the wires seemed to get hot or even warm so I think I'm good.

The only other thing I would like to do is have the AC 'on' trigger the fan relay. I thought about using the compressor trigger wire, but then it might trigger the compressor when I flip the fan switch. Plus when it cycles off, the fan would also go off. I'll mull this one over, it's fine the way it is when I'm driving, but not if someone else is using the truck. I'm open to suggestions. BTW, this AC unit is likely a dealer installed under dash AC.

Dan you were not supposed to hook up that horn relay. You didn't do that did you? The horn relay on the classic update is inside the car. All you have to do is run the green wire out to the horns.

Donny
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Yes, that is what I did. That's what I meant by "too easy"...
I like easy.

72 El Camino SS?

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 7:18 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawtech View Post
I will check back and see where you are with things. In addition, we are here at 8:30, if you can get up a bit early for work, give us a call then. If all else fails, I'll give you my cell and you can call me in the evening when you get home from work.

Donny

....And to think some people still have to "debate" if the AAW route is the way to go....

Top Notch Service right there folks.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1926 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.