Painless Wiring or American Autowire? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 14, 4:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Anibal

Painless Wiring or American Autowire?

i have to order a full car wiring harness for my 72 chevelle. i plan on doing it myself and ive never done it before, so i want something that i will have the least trouble with. i was looking at the painless kit and the American Autowire kit. i read on another thread that the AAW requires special crimmpers that are $100 a piece. Thats pretty steep for only doing this once... The Painless wiring harness i found on summit doesnt look like it has as much stuff as the AAW kit and you have to purchase a separate engine harness kit which is another $150. not sure what to do here guys im not too happy with either kit. whats your guys experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 14, 7:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Re: Painless Wiring or American Autowire?

You can rent the crimpers I do believe. Both are good products but there are some catches. One big one is if you have electric fans they really don't support them properly in the upgrade version...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 14, 7:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jerry

Get the M&H Electrical harness from James at Hinshaws Chevelles. http://www.hinshawschevelle.com It will be plug and play, correct colors and connections. Have used several of them and they are the best in my opinion.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 14, 9:15 PM
Tech Team
jessie

My first choice would be M&H second choice American Autowire kit.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 14, 1:25 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

what Jerry and jessie said. but, AAW has people who logon here regularly and help with wiring issues. This is worth a fortune if you run into trouble along the way. As near as I can tell the AAW and M&H are very nearly the same stuff.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 14, 10:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Anyone have an opinion on Ron Francis' harness?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Jim Wamsley
1971 Chevelle SS 454
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 14, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

This is one of those topics’ that have been brought up a lot. If you do a search you will find them. If you want good plug and play and is very close to stock AAW and M&H is the way to go. However if you like doing things and are good with wiring Painless is very nice and a good product, but it's not for the novice. I went with Painless and it was fun for me, and since my car is far from stock it was a benefit in my opinion because of the use of modern fuses and the ease of adding additions without cutting up a factory style wiring harness.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 14, 12:31 PM
Brandon

Love my AAW harness. Good instrucitons, everything is labled, great quality product and the tech support is awesome if you need it.

71 Chevelle
ATK Engines 496 Stroker
TH400 / 9 Inch 3500 Stall
Full UMI Suspension with Viking Shocks
http://brandons71chevelle.weebly.com/

ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES
WWW.ATKHP.COM

Need an engine...shoot me a PM.

ATK SBC Perf. Cylinder Heads are IN STOCK! 64cc/70cc - 185cc/195cc/210cc
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 14, 9:48 AM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebogloza24 View Post
i have to order a full car wiring harness for my 72 chevelle. i plan on doing it myself and ive never done it before, so i want something that i will have the least trouble with. i was looking at the painless kit and the American Autowire kit. i read on another thread that the AAW requires special crimmpers that are $100 a piece. Thats pretty steep for only doing this once... The Painless wiring harness i found on summit doesnt look like it has as much stuff as the AAW kit and you have to purchase a separate engine harness kit which is another $150. not sure what to do here guys im not too happy with either kit. whats your guys experience with them?

As others have stated, there are two distinct paths to go down. Stock "plug-n-play", or modified.

The stock stuff we manufacture can be built with alternator or ignitions system upgrades as needed also.

The main difference between our modified (Classic Update) or and Painless, or a Ron Francis kit is the completeness. They are all good products, but our kit is far more complete. It gives you all the correct lamps sockets, terminals, and connectors that are needed to complete the entire job. You will not have to cut and splice 40-60 wires to your 40+ year old lamp sockets and connectors like you will with the other kits.

Regarding Ron's comment, our kit does in fact address electric fans. We have a dedicated fused circuit with a trigger wire to use with any relay. We just do not supply that relay kit itself with the Classic Update kit as most fan suppliers or manufacturers supply that with their fan. If we were to include a relay kit, it would increase the cost of every kit by about $25.00. We just felt that it was better to supply that item separately. If someone is building a car that does require one, we do offer a high performance fan relay kit that utilizes SXL and GXL hi-heat wire, a good relay, and an OEM Delphi-Packard base, as opposed to an inexpensive "off shore" piece.

Donny

Last edited by aawtech; Apr 2nd, 14 at 10:25 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 14, 8:26 PM
Team Member
Roger

I'm finishing re-wiring my 72 Elky w/ the AAW kit and love it. One of the best parts is that all the wires are labeled which really comes in handy.
I'm modifying my kit somewhat. I'm adding Digital Dakota gauges, Vintage Air, a dedicated relay system for the headlights and an upgraded stereo. But so far so good. The only issue I'm having is finding a location to mount the DD control units. But that has nothing to do w/ the AAW wiring kit.
So my recommendation is the AAW kit.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 2:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Anibal

Thanks for the help guys. I think for me the best kit is the AAW because of its completeness. thanks again
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 3:12 PM
Tech Team

I want to say that M&H sent me one hellova nice harness for my 70'. Factory colors and fittings. The fuse box was spot on for the original GM unit. It was crazy easy to install, practically fell in. Called em' once for help and they guy was very knowledgable and was not in a hurry to get off the phone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 14, 3:37 PM
Tech Team
Bart

Why not Ron Francis? Has awesome select-a-circuit. Doesn't have bulk head connection though.

1969 Chevelle Malibu 396BB, DNE2 4speed (do not want - would sell), 12 Bolt, 18x9.5 Snettertons with 245/40 and 285/35s Conti3s.
My Build thread - https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...958&highlight=
Wanted - 2" Cowl Hood. Would trade my 4".
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

I put AAW kit in my '71 - long but easy install. Everything worked on first try. Liked the ATC fuses and adaptability for HEI, 1-wire alternators, elec fans etc. I bought the Delco crimpers as they are are worthwhile tool and provide a factory like connection.

'66 SS396 502-502; '71 SS454 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1905 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.